Switzerland, Basel City Local Citizenship Requests (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Switzerland, Basel City, Local Citizenship Requests, 1348-1798 .
- 1 Title in the Language of the Records
- 2 Record Description
- 3 Record Content
- 4 How to Use the Record
- 5 Related Websites
- 6 Related Wiki Articles
- 7 Contributions to This Article
- 8 Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Title in the Language of the Records
Schweiz, Basel-Stadt, Bürgerschafts Kontrakte,
This is a collection of extracts of requests of citizenship in the city of Basel, Switzerland. Each individual entry may include place of birth, previous place of residence, occupations, and related individuals. This collection includes an alphabetical index by last name, which provides last name, given name, and page number. These records are part of the Nachlaß F. Weiss-Frei Collection kept in the city archives of Basel, Switzerland. alanced by an inflow of foreigners, particularly from Germany, Italy, and Austria. The communes and cantons were and are responsible for naturalization matters. Most of the foreigners came from neighboring France and Germany, while others came from Italy and other nearby countries. In order for foreigners to have the civil rights to live and work in Switzerland, they needed to apply for citizenship.
For a list of records by dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
This collection of citizenship requests from the City of Basel covers the years 1348-1798.
Local civil authorities needed to keep a record listing of all those applying for citizen’s rights by way of naturalization.
This records are reliable for genealogical research.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Switzerland, Basel City, Local Citizenship Requests, 1348-1798." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Weiss-Frei Archiv. Staatsarchiv des Kantons Basel-Stadt.
Citizenship records usually contain the following information:
- Name of person requesting citizenship
- Place of origin or residence
- Sometimes his/her occupation
- Comments and further explanations regarding the citizenship requests
How to Use the Record
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "Band or Index" category which takes you to the images
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
The most important information one can take from this record is the place of origin of the immigrant, but it is first necessary to know the place where the person requested his/her citizenship and when he or she did so.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation Example for a Record Found in This Collection
- “Switzerland, Basel City, Local Citizenship Requests, 1348-1798,” digital images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org: accessed 20 April 2012), Band 4: 1700-1798 > image 279 of 376 images, Entry of Christina Schuler, request to move to Basel, Switzerland, in 1775. citing Burgerschafts Kontrakte 1348-1798, Nachlass F. Weiss-Frei Archiv (Basel, Schweiz) Band 4 1700-1798 FHL INTL Film 922294. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.