Switzerland, Basel City Local Citizenship Requests (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Switzerland, Basel City Local Citizenship Requests .
- 1 Title in the Language of the Records
- 2 Collection Time Period
- 3 Record Description
- 4 How to Use the Record
- 5 Record History
- 6 Related Websites
- 7 Related Wiki Articles
- 8 Contributions to This Article
- 9 Citation for This Collection
- 10 Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Title in the Language of the Records
Schwiez, Basel-Stadt, Bürgerschafts Kontrakte, 1348-1798
Collection Time Period
This collection of citizenship requests from the City of Basel covers the years 1348-1798.
This is a collection of extracts of requests of citizenship in the city of Basel, Switzerland. Each individual entry may include place of birth, previous place of residence, occupations, and related individuals. This collection includes an alphabetical index by last name, which provides last name, given name, and page number. These records are part of the Nachlaß F. Weiss-Frei Collection kept in the city archives of Basel, Switzerland.
Key genealogical facts found in citizenship requests may include:
- Name of person requesting citizenship
- Place of origin or residence
- Sometimes his/her occupation
- Comments and further explanations regarding the citizenship requests
How to Use the Record
The most important information one can take from this record is the place of origin of the immigrant, but it is first necessary to know the place where the person requested his/her citizenship and when he or she did so.
The outflow of Swiss was balanced by an inflow of foreigners, particularly from Germany, Italy, and Austria. The communes and cantons were and are responsible for naturalization matters. Most of the foreigners came from neighboring France and Germany, while others came from Italy and other nearby countries. In order for foreigners to have the civil rights to live and work in Switzerland, they needed to apply for citizenship.
Why the Record Was Created
Local civil authorities needed to keep a record listing of all those applying for citizen’s rights by way of naturalization.
This records are reliable for genealogical research.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the data and images published on FamilySearch.org Historical Records. It may include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
Bürgerschafts Kontrakte, 1348-1798. Staatsarchiv Basel-Stadt, Basel, Switzerland.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
Examples of Source Citations for a Record in This Collection
- “Delaware Marriage Records,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org: accessed 4 March 2011), entry for William Anderson and Elizabeth Baynard Henry, married 23 November 1913; citing marriage certificate no. 859; FHL microfilm 2,025,063; Delaware Bureau of Archives and Records Management, Dover.
- “El Salvador Civil Registration,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org: accessed 21 March 2011), entry for Jose Maria Antonio del Carmen, born 9 April 1880; citing La Libertad, San Juan Opico, Nacimientos 1879-1893, image 50; Ministerio Archivo Civil de la Alcaldia Municipal de San Salvador.
The suggested format for citing FamilySearch Historical Collections is found in the wiki article Help:How to Create Source Citations For FamilySearch Historical Records Collections.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.