Switzerland Church Book Extracts (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Switzerland, Church Book Extracts, 1550-1875 .
- 1 Title in the Language of the Records
- 2 Collection Time Period
- 3 Record Description
- 4 Record Content
- 5 How to Use the Record
- 6 Record History
- 7 Related Websites
- 8 Related Wiki Articles
- 9 Contributions to This Aricle
- 10 Citing familySearch Historical Collections
Title in the Language of the Records
Schwiez, Kirchebücher Auszüge 1550-1875
Collection Time Period
This collection of data, which was extracted from church books in Pratteln, Germany, covers the years 1550-1875
This is a collection of images of church records extracts for several Swiss canton; however, it is not comprehensive. The title page of each book lists the surnames with town(s) and canton(s) from where the === Citation for This Collection ===
The following citation refers to the original source of the data and images published on FamilySearch.org Historical Records. It may include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- “Switzerland, Church Book Extract, 1550-1875”, images FamilySearch Historical Records, 2010; from Family History Center Pratteln, Germany. Switzerland, Pratteln church book extract. FHL digital images. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Information about creating source citations for FamilySearch Historical Collections is listed in the wiki article Help:How to Create Source Citations For FamilySearch Historical Records Collections. ecords were extracted.
The genealogical facts found in most of the family register extract cards include:
- Name of the ancestor, either as a parent or child
- Names of the ancestor’s siblings, parents, grandparents
- Date of the ancestor’s birth
- Place of the ancestor’s birth
- Occupation of the ancestor’s father
- Birth dates of the ancestor’s siblings and parents
- Date of the ancestor’s marriage
- Date of the ancestor’s death
- Death dates of the ancestor’s siblings and parents
- Information concerning emigration in the family
How to Use the Record
In order to find data in this collection, it is necessary to know the name of the ancestor, the religion, town of the event, and approximate date of the event.
Swiss church records are typically written in German or Latin. Regional dialect may affect the spelling of some German words and the use of vocabulary words.
The extracts of these church books cover a majority of the population of Pratteln for the years 1550-1875.
Why the Record Was Created
The church records were created to record church sacraments associated with the life events of the parishioners, such as baptisms, marriages and deaths. This collection of extracted data was created to make the research of Pratteln ancestors easier.
Church books are one of the most reliable and accurate family history sources. However, accuracy in the records is dependent upon the accuracy of the informant’s knowledge and the accuracy of the priest’s recording of the information. The extraction of data from these records may also introduce some mistakes; therefore, it is recommended that you verify the information in the originals and other vital records, if available.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Aricle
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing familySearch Historical Collections
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation Example for a Record in This Collection
- “Switzerland, Church Book Extracts, 1550-1875," digital images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org: accessed 20
April 2012), Heft > Andri > 169 > Image 2 of 29 images, entry for Anna Maria Albert, born 13 Dec 1884; citing FamilySearch Historical Records, 2010; from Family History Center Pratteln, Germany. Switzerland, Pratteln church book extract. FHL digital images. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.