Talachddu, Breconshire Genealogy
TÀLACHDDÛ (TÀL-ACHDDÛ), a parish, in the hundred of Pencelly, union and county of Brecknock, South Wales, 3½ miles (N. E.) from Brecknock, on the road to Hay. This parish comprises about one thousand five hundred and fifty acres of land. It derives its name from its situation at the head of a small rivulet called the Achddû, from the black colour of its water. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small ancient building with a low tower; part of the rood-loft is remaining, and has been converted into a gallery. There is a place of worship for Anabaptists.
TALACHDDU, a parish in the hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 4 miles N.E. of Brecknock, its post town, and 6 from Talgarth. The village is situated at the source of the river Achddhu. The parish includes the hamlets of Velin-vach and Llwryneyrog. For more information see Talach-ddu, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464300.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 384-396. Adapted. Date accessed: 30 January 2014.