|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the England Genealogy article.|
|WikiProject England||(Rated A-Class, Top-importance)|
I have made three edits to pages today and the result is unexpected. I made a change to the Cambridgeshire Census and got text that does not wrap. I made a simple change to Hoxne Paish page and got and unexpected white space between the sections. I wouldn't advise making any edits until this is fixed. You would think that the edit function would be turned off until this is fixed. Donjgen 02:10, 8 December 2011 (UTC)
I just put the : "Featured Content" at the top of the page. and moved "Research Tools" down the list. Now somebody edit the "Featured Content" Also feel free to remove content from this page that is no longer of value or applictiable. "Is there a spell checker" Donjgen 21:00, 4 October 2011 (UTC)
- I like the idea of having "featured content" at the top. The sections might be pared down a little and I think everything but the Knowles collection should be changed out. If we could get some stats on how the featured content has been used it may help make decisions about these changes.
- Darris G. Williams 03:06, 6 October 2011 (UTC)
Online Collections List is too long
The section near the bottom of the page has gotten out of scope. I don't think it is appropriate to have the Wiki articles describing online collections are found at: continue to grow. I suggest that a page be written where these can all be added and linked to from the England page. If this continues the page will become unwieldy. I would also suggest that two or three articles be listed on the England page with a link to the complete list and that the two or three on the England page be rotated similar to the Featured Articles on the main page of the wiki. Darris G. Williams 21:53, 28 October 2011 (UTC)
- I agree with Darris. As the list of these collections has grown so large they should be listed on a separate page which can then be linked to from the England page. Also if any are listed as Darris suggests they should be those that cover the whole country. Collections about records from say Cheshire can be featured on the appropriate county pages. --Steve 10:32, 29 October 2011 (UTC)
- I agree also. I was thinking the list was starting to get too long. I like the idea of reasonable length lists. When a list starts getting too long, move one group of them (such as a specific county) and move them to the appropriate page for that group of collections. For example, some day there might be a number of civil registration collections that could be moved to the England Civil Registration page to keep the England page from having too long a list.
- -- Alan 16:33, 8 November 2011 (UTC)