Tallahatchie County, Mississippi Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 21:42, 16 December 2010 by Krikar (added company)
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1833--Tallahatchie County was created 23 December 1833 from the Choctaw Cession. County seat: Charleston 
- Civil War service men from Tallahatchie County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Tallahatchie County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company D - Tillatoba Grays
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Partisans [Also known as 2nd Partisan Rangers Cavalry/Ballentine’s]
- Company I - Eskridge’s Company
- - 32nd Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Tallahatchie Guards Independent Cavalry
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).