Tamworth, Warwickshire Genealogy
|Hundred||Hemlingford; North Offlow; South Offlow|
|Poor Law Union||Tamworth|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1664|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Warwickshire County Record Office|
TAMWORTH (St. Edith), a borough, markettown, and parish, and the head of a union, partly in the N., and partly in the S., division of the hundred of Offlow, S. division of the county of Stafford; and partly in the Tamworth division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick. The parish comprises the townships of Amington with Stony Delph, and Bolehall with Glascote, the liberty of the Castle, and the hamlet of Wilnecote with Dosthill, in the county of Warwick. There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans; and a Roman Catholic chapel.
Tamworth is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Staffordshire. Part of the parish is also in Warwickshire. Wilnecote and Castle Liberty, Warwickshire is a chapelry of Tamworth. Other places in the parish include: Syerscote.
TAMWORTH (St. Edith), a borough, markettown, and parish, and the head of a union, partly in the N., and partly in the S., division of the hundred of Offlow, S. division of the county of Stafford; and partly in the Tamworth division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick; containing 7746 inhabitants, of whom 3789 are in the old borough, 24 miles (S. E. by E.) from Stafford, 28 (N. by W.) from Warwick, and 108 (N. W. by N.) from London. This town, which is considered the most ancient in the county of Stafford, derives its name from the river Tame, and from Waert or Worthidge, a water farm.
The parish comprises the townships of Syerscote and Fazeley, and the chapelry of Wigginton, in the county of Stafford; and the townships of Amington with StonyDelph, and Bolehall with Glascote, the liberty of the Castle, and the hamlet of Wilnecote with Dosthill, in the county of Warwick. The living is a vicarage; net income, £170; patron, Admiral A'Court Repington. The church, situated in the county of Stafford, is spacious and handsome, with a fine tower, in which are two remarkable spiral staircases communicating with separate floors, their entrances being within and without the church, respectively. Beneath the edifice is a crypt, 33 yards long, filled with human bones. The building combines the decorated and later English styles, and has two Norman arches; the roof is of very fine carved oak. The church was formerly collegiate, and occupies the site of an ancient monastery: the foundation of the college, which consisted of a dean and six prebendaries, is uncertain, but is attributed, with the greatest probability, to the Marmions, who were owners of the castle. Queen Elizabeth broke up the deanery, and sold the land. Some tessellated pavement, now placed in front of the communion-table, was discovered a few years since, when the church was undergoing repair. At Fazeley, Wigginton, and Wilnecote, are separate incumbencies. There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans; and a Roman Catholic chapel.
From: 'Tamerton-Folliott - Tapton', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 297-300. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51327 Date accessed: 31 March 2011.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Staffordshire BMD have indexes for births marriages and deaths. Due to March 2011 reorganisation of the registration service for South Staffordshire districts the historical registration indexes for this district have been located at the Newcastle under Lyme registration district (formerly held at Lichfield) and applications for certificates need to be directed there. Please refer to the "Updates" page of Staffordshire BMD for further information.
Tamworth St Editha deposited parish registers held at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1558-1995, Mar 1558-1994, Bur 1558-1919 Bishop's transcripts held at Lichfield Record Office Bap 1664-1869, Mar 1664-1844, Bur 1664-1869 note Bap/bur missing for 1865
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464172.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 12 November 2013.