United States Colorado Taos County
The southern part of present-day Colorado east of the Continental Divide, that is parts of Archuleta, Conejos, Rio Grande, Mineral, Hinsdale, San Juan, Saguache, Alamosa, Costilla, Los Animas, Huerfano, Custer, Pueblo, Otero, Bent, and extreme western edge of Baca counties were part of Taos County, New Mexico Territory from its creation in New Mexico Territory in 1852 until 1 February 1860 when the eastern half of Taos County was split off as Mora County.  
A few of the earliest settlers in what is now southern Colorado may have conducted their county business in Taos via the Santa Fe Trail
. For records of residents in what later became southern Colorado from 1852 to 1861 check Taos County, New Mexico
records. From 1 February 1860 to 1861 also check records of Mora County, New Mexico
. After 1861 a part of New Mexico Territory was transferred to Colorado, and record keeping shifted to the appropriate Colorado counties.
- ↑ Compare 1852 and 1854 maps.
- ↑ John Koontz, Political History of Nevada, 5th ed. (Carson City, Nev.: SPO, 1965), 37-98. At various libraries (WorldCat). FHL Book 979.3 N2k
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 9th ed. (Logan, Utah: Everton Pub., 1999), 274. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 1999.
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Taos County, New Mexico" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taos_County,_New_Mexico (accessed 8 August 2011).
- ↑ Original Counties of New Mexico Territory (map) at http://www.nmgs.org/Graphics/nmcoun-orig.jpg (accessed 9 August 2011).
- ↑ J.H. Colton, "Territories of New Mexico and Utah" (map) (New York: Johnson and Browning, 1860?). Digitized at http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/uw&CISOPTR=483&CISOBOX=1&REC=1 (accessed 9 August 2011).
- ↑ Marion Ellison, An inventory and index to the records of Carson County, Utah and Nevada Territories, 1855-1861 (Reno, Nevada: Grace Dangberg Foundation, 1984), iv. At various libraries (WorldCat). FHL Book 979.3 R2e.