Taylor County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Taylor County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Taylor County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 1, 1858|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Taylor County has had two county seats: Buffalo Gap 1878-1883 and Abilene 1883-present.
See an interactive map of Taylor County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
Abilene | Buffalo Gap | Caps | Potosi | Hamby | Happy Valley | Lawn | Merkel | Ovalo | Potosi | Trent | Tuscola | Tye | View | Wylie
- Abilene City Cemetery (City of Abilene Cemetery, Municipal Cemetery) Cemetery Database. Also includes: I. O. O. F. Cemetery, Masonic Cemetery, Cedar Hill Cemetery, Cedar Hill Flats Cemetery. Search by space or occupant.
- Taylor County Cemeteries ~ TXGenWeb
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Buffalo Gap Cemetery, Tuscola BillionGraves
- Drummond Cemetery, Abilene BillionGraves
- Texas Escapes Listing of Texas cemeteries with transcriptions and lots of pictures.
Local histories are available for Taylor County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- A History of Rural Taylor County, 1980, by Juanita Daniel Zachry.
- Taylor County Timeline ~ TXGenWeb
- Taylor County, Texas History from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Abilene 1883 Panoramic Map from the Amon Carter Museum.
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Taylor County CSA Pensions ~ USGenWeb Archives
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors
- Confederate Indigent Families List
- Terrys Texas Rangers, 8th Texas Calvary
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has Abilene newspapers from the early 1900's that covered local news on residents from Taylor County.
- Wikipedia has a list of online newspaper archives for Texas.
- Abilene Reporter News
- The Merkel Mail
912 North 1st Street
Merkel, TX 79536
- The Buffalo Gap RoundUp
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Abilene Public Library
202 Cedar St
Abilene, TX 79601
Phone: (325) 676-6328
Merkel Public Library
100 Kent St
Merkel, TX 79536
Phone: (325) 928-5054
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
- Taylor County~ TXGenWeb
- Taylor County Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Taylor County, Texas. Page 674 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handbook of Texas Online: Taylor County http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hct02
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).