Tazewell County, Illinois Genealogy
|Tazewell County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 31, 1827|
|Address|| McKenzie Building, 2nd Floor|
4th and Court Streets
Pekin, IL 61554
|Named for: Lyttleton W. Tazewell|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Parent County
- 4 Boundary Changes
- 5 Record Loss
- 6 Places / Localities
- 6.1 Populated Places
- 6.2 Neighboring Counties
- 6.3 Resources
- 6.4 African American
- 6.5 Archives and Libraries
- 6.6 Cemeteries
- 6.7 Census
- 6.8 Church
- 6.9 Court
- 6.10 Land
- 6.11 Local Histories
- 6.12 Maps
- 6.13 Military
- 6.14 Naturalization
- 6.15 Newspapers
- 6.16 Probate
- 6.17 Taxation
- 6.18 Vital Records
- 6.19 Birth
- 6.20 Societies and Libraries
- 6.21 Websites
- 6.22 References
The county was named for Lyttleton W. Tazewell, and iminent lawyer, Governor, Representative in Congress, and United States Senator from Virginia
1790-1812 St. Clair
1790-1801 Knox. Northwest Territory
Places / Localities
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Archives and Libraries
Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD)
Illinois State Universtiy (ISU)
2016 Warehouse Road Campus
Normal, Illinois 61802
Cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries,names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Tazewell County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Tazewell Co.IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Tazewell County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Tazewell County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census. Washington, D.C., 1841. FHL 973 X2pc 1840; FHL 2321; digital version at Google Books. [See Illinois, Tazewell County on page 188.]
1837-1859 Circuit Court Dockets IRAD-ISU
1850-1863 Swamp Land Record IRAD-ISU
- Early History of Washington, Illinois and Vicinity. Washington, Ill.: Tazewell County Reporter, 1929. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
1861-1862 Militia Roll Record - IRAD-ISU
1864-1949 Military Discharge Record IRAD-ISU
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Tazewell County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Tazewell County.
- - 31st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company I.
- - 44th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies A and K.
- - 73rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company B.
- - 85th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies A and E.
- - 86th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company G.
- - 94th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company I.
- - 100th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company A.
1839-1892 Naturalization Declarations of Intent, Circuit Court IRAD-ISU
1866-1903 Naturalization Declarations of Intent, County Court IRAD-ISU
1856-1906 Naturalization Papers, County Court IRAD-ISU
1867-1888Naturalization Record of Soldietrs and Minors, Circuit Court IRAD-ISU
1903-1906 Naturalization Record, County Court IRAD - ISU
1858-1886 Naturlaizatrion Record, Final, Circuit Court IRAD-ISU
1876-1903 Naturalization Record, Final, County Court IRAD-ISU
1912-1924 Probate Record IRAD-ISU
1858-1916 Birth Record Index IRAD-ISU
1877-1916 Birth Record IRAD-ISU
1827-1922 Marriage Record Index IRAD-ISU
1827-1922 Marraige Record IRAD-ISU
1877-1954 Death Record Index IRAD-ISU
1877-1914 Death Record IRAD-ISU
1915-1934 Death Record, Coroner's IRAD-ISU
1869-1964 Corner's Inquest Record IRAD-ISU
Societies and Libraries
Tazewell County Genealogical and Historical Society was established in 1978 with the following mission: "to stimulate interest, to collect, preserve, and safeguard records, and to provide related educational services for the purpose of increasing and enriching public knowledge of our [Tazewell County] heritage." We currently (2011) have about 400 members.
Our library (the Ehrlicher Research Center) is located at 719 N Eleventh Street in Pekin, Illinois. The library is open Monday 9 am-1 pm, Tuesday 9 am-1 pm and 7-9 pm, Wednesday 9 am-4:30 pm, Thursday-Friday 9 am-1 pm, and Sunday 2-4:30 pm central time (closed on holidays and holiday weekends). We will also try to open at other times by advance appointment.
Our collection currently contains over 5000 volumes including family histories; county histories; atlases; cemetery books; marriage books, census records, newspapers on microfilm; funeral home records; surname card file; surname correspondence files; obituary index; church directories; historic photo collection; research publications from surrounding counties of McDonough, Fulton, McLean, Mason, Menard,and Peoria as well as other Illinois counties and other states; Civil War Records including "The War of the Rebellion. A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, 128 Volumes. Washington. 1882-1900". Our German collection including a complete set of "Germans to American" and Ostrfriesland OSB books is one the largest in the state of Illinois.
We also offer research services for those that can't make the trip to our library.Web Sites
Databases Pertinent to Tazewell County
Local Governmental Records Database
Name Index to Illinois Local Governments
Illinois Statewide Marriage Index
Illinois Statewide Death Index, 1916–1950
Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database
Federal Township Plats of Illinois
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).