Template talk:British Census
Content improvement suggestion
Wonderful template which will be very useful. Few suggestions:
- I wonder if the opening sentence should mention 1841-1911, rather than just 1841-1891 (although later ones aren't available on film, beginners may not know the census is available through 1911 and that should probably be the first thing, shouldn't it?).
- I would like to see a link to a more descriptive Wiki article which gives more detail. For example, do all of these sites have info for all of the censuses? Do all have a searchable index? Do some have additional features that others don't, such as search by address or parish? What is different about them which might help a user know which is best for their needs? If such an article exists, link to it. If not, "someone" should create one.
- Add a general statement telling users whether they need to check just one, more than one, or all of the sites (or referring to article just described).
- The text for FreeCen is not a complete sentence and I'm not sure what it means. Please reword.
- The opening sentence (see also #1, above) says film for 1841-1891, but 1891 is only on fiche.
Alan 20:31, 23 January 2012 (UTC)
England Census Records and Indexes Online lists all the sites. I don't know why no one has linked to it. I am the only one that has linked to it from a parish or County page. Another odd thing is that, that page has just over 2000 hits, yet the English Census page has 15,000 hits. Both pages are linked together. Its like peole want to know about the census but they do not want to know which sites have the census and look at the records. Or on the other hand they already know the sites, but arne't familiar with census records in general.
The relevance of England Census on microfilm is small wilth all the online sites that are available. I haven't looked at a census microfilm in ages. Donjgen 20:17, 24 January 2012 (UTC)