The FamilySearch Center in Salt Lake City, Utah
What Is the FamilySearch Center?
Many people know about the world-famous Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah. It's the largest genealogy library in the world, with records for over one billion people. However, the library can be a little overwhelming if you are just starting to learn about your family history.
Only one block away on the east side of Temple Square, there's another great place where you can get one-on-one help with family history—the FamilySearch Center. It's located in the lower level of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building (formerly the Hotel Utah).
Family History Activities for Everyone
Free to the public, the FamilySearch Center has a relaxed atmosphere and offers something for everyone.
- Expert volunteers and staff can help you get started with family history, including finding your ancestors in online records.
- There are hands-on exhibits where young children and their parents can learn together about records that are important for family history.
- There are activities for teenagers, such as scavenger hunts.
- Learn about records throughout history and watch video segments depicting the personal journeys and dramatic discoveries of individuals pursuing their family history. Take a virtual tour of the Granite Mountain Records Vault, where records of genealogical importance are preserved. You can also watch a video explaining how records are digitized and indexed and made available online.
- Have your photo taken in front of a backdrop of the wharf at Ellis Island with the Statue of Liberty in the harbor. A volunteer will be happy to take the photos and e-mail them to you.
- The center is handicap accessible.
What to Bring
If you want to find information about your ancestors, it's helpful if you know the name of a family member who was living in 1940 and where he or she was living.
The FamilySearch Center has two large classrooms with Internet access, which can be reserved by groups. Family organizations and genealogical societies like to use the center for their members, especially when the Family History Library is closed on Monday nights. The center is also a great stop for bus tours.
In addition, the FamilySearch Center gives free discount coupons to four of the restaurants in the area. Three of the restaurants are right there in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. Another is just half a block away in the Lion House—their dinner rolls are famous among locals.
Hours and Contact Information
The FamilySearch Center in Salt Lake City is open:
- Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Click here for a schedule that includes the holiday closings.
Joseph Smith Memorial Building
15 East South Temple Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84150
Group or classroom reservations: 801-240-4673