Tippah County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to Tippah County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
A wiki article describing an online colleciton is found at:
Mississippi Tippah County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
1836--Tippah County was created 9 February 1836 from the Chickasaw Cession.
County seat: Ripley 
For tips on accessing Tippah County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
- Civil War service men from Tippah County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Tippah County.
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (New)
- Company K - Beauregard Relief
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Partisans [Also known as 2nd Partisan Rangers Cavalry/Ballentine’s]
- Company E - McDowell’s Company
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi State Cavalry
- Company A - Citizen Guards
- Company K - Pettus Rangers
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company B – O’Connor Rifles
- Company D – Joe Matthews
- Company F – Magnolia Rifles
- Company L – Liberty Guards
- - 3rd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry
- Company F - Tippah Highlanders
- - 3rd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company G - Daniel’s Company
- - 7th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company A - Forrest Cavalry, aka Ford’s Company
- Company B - Hovis’ Company
- Company C - Green’s Company
- Company D - Holcomb’s Company
- Company E - Buncomb’s Fighting Cocks, aka Rogers’ Company
- Company F - Duncan’s Company
- Company G - Stancill’s Company, aka Garrett’s Company, and aka White’s Company
- Company H - Wheeler’s Company, aka Polk’s/Park’s Company
- Company I - McKenzie’s Company, aka Young’s Company
- Company L - Garrett’s Company
- - 32nd Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company E - Hatchie Tigers
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
- 1858-1899 - Tippah County Marriages 1858-1899. Courtesy: MSGenWeb - free.
- 1858-1918 - Tippah County Marriage Books 1-10 Index 1858-1918 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
A wiki article describing an online collectons is found at:
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Tippah County, Mississippi page 383, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f2/Igimississippip.pdf.