Tipton County, Indiana Genealogy
Guide to Tipton County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Tipton County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1844|
|Address|| Tipton County Courthouse|
101 E Jefferson
Tipton, IN 46072
Tipton County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Tipton County, Indiana Resources
- 2.1 Cemeteries
- 2.2 Census Records
- 2.3 Bible Records
- 2.4 Biographies
- 2.5 Business
- 2.6 Census Records
- 2.7 Church Records
- 2.8 Court Records
- 2.9 Directories
- 2.10 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.11 Ethnic and religious Groups
- 2.12 Gazetteers
- 2.13 Genealogies
- 2.14 History
- 2.15 Land and Property
- 2.16 Maps
- 2.17 Migration
- 2.18 Military Records
- 2.19 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.20 Newspapers
- 2.21 Obituaries
- 2.22 Occupations
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Pictures
- 2.25 Probate Records
- 2.26 Public Records
- 2.27 Repositories
- 2.28 School Records
- 2.29 Taxation
- 2.30 Vital Records
- 2.31 Voting Registration
- 3 Tipton County, Indiana Web Sites
- 4 Tipton County, Indiana References
- Marvin W. Pershing , Tipton County, Indiana history, 1914 Facsim. of History of Tipton County, Indiana: her people, industries and institutions --Indianapolis, Indiana: B. F. Bowen Co., 1914,( Kokomo, Indiana:Selby Publishing Printing, c1985) 977.255 H2p v.1 and v.2 FHL Collection Other Library
- Blanchard, Charles. 2010. Counties of Howard and Tipton, Indiana: historical and biographical. (Salem, Mass: Higginson Book Co.)977.2 H2bL FHL US/CAN BookFHL Collectionother libraries FamilySearch Books OnlineINTERNET ARCHIVE
- History of Tipton County, Indiana - Linkpendium
Tipton County, Indiana Resources
- A cemetery index of Tipton County can be found at http://tiptongenealogy.blogspot.com/.The index was compiled from 1978-1980, so any burials after that are not listed.
For tips on accessing Tipton County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Tipton County, Indiana (1880) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository.
For more information about these major repositories, see Indiana Church Records.
- Directory of Businesses in Tipton County, Indiana (1868) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and religious Groups
- Pershing, M. W. History of Tipton County, Indiana, 1914. ( [Kokomo, Ind.] (3405 Zartman Rd., Kokomo 46902): Selby Pub.Print, 1985.), 977.255 H2pFHL Collectionother librariesGoogle books
- Biographical and Genealogical History of Cass, Miami, Howard and Tipton Counties, Indiana. (La Crosse WI: Brookhaven Press, 2003.)other library Hathi Trust Digital Library
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
After land was transferred from the government to private ownership, subsequent transactions were recorded at the courthouse, where records are currently housed.
See Indiana Land and Property for additional information about early Indiana land grants and patents.
- Maps and Gazetteers - Linkpendium
- See Military Records and Histories - Linkpendium
War of 1812
Civil War service men from Tipton County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Tipton County.
- 1st Regiment, Indiana Heavy Artillery, Company L
- 8th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies G, L, and M
- 11th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company F
- 26th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 47th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 75th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company B
- 101st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 132nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company F
- 140th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 148th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 153rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- A list of Civil War soldiers buried in Tipton County can be found at http://www.tiptonpl.lib.in.us/pages/cwburied.pdf
Civil War Book
- "Military," Chapter 17 in Pershing, M. W. History of Tipton County, Indiana, 1914. ([Kokomo, Ind.] (3405 Zartman Rd., Kokomo 46902): Selby Pub.Print, 1985.),(page 141-165),977.255 H2p FHL Collectionother libraries
World War I
World War II
Naturalization and Citizenship
- The Tipton Daily Tribune is available online at tiptonpl.newspaperarchive.comIt is has all available issues through 1971.
- A collection of over 400 images of Tipton County can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiptongenealogy.The originals are archived at the Tipton County Public Library.
Tipton County Courthouses
101 E Jefferson
Tipton, IN 46072
County Clerk has marriage records from 1844, divorce, probate, and court house records from 1850. <ref>"Handybook for Genealogists:United States of American". 10th ed. (Draper, Utah:Everton Pub., 2002) Tipton County, Indiana 217 At various libraries(WorldCat) FHL Book 973D27e2002</ref>
Family History Centers
The main FamilySearch Center for Tipton County, Indiana Genealogy is the
For additional nearby Family History Centers, search online in the [Family History Center directory].
- Directory of Teachers for Tipton County (1936) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Alumni of Tipton High School (1876-1907) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Indiana tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties.
For more information see the wiki page Indiana Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Indiana law in 1882 required registration of births and deaths in counties. The Indiana Department of Health has birth records filed after October 1907 and death records filed after January 1900 for deaths. Copies may be obtained from the county health department or the Indiana State Division of Vital Records. See also How to order Indiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
Marriage licenses were required by counties beginning in 1800. Original marriage records are held at the office of the Tipton County, Indiana Genealogy County Clerk with divorce records located with the Tipton County, Indiana Genealogy Clerk of Courts.
- A full index of Cemetery, Marriage, and Obituary records can be found online at the Tipton County Public Library webpage.
- Indiana State Digital Archives for Death, E-Publication, Institution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- A marriage index of Tipton County can be found at http://tiptongenealogy.blogspot.com/. The index contains marriages from 1844 - 1930.
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992-FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959-FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920 - FamilySearch
Finding Vital Records at Other Repositories
Additional vital records can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Tipton County, Indiana Genealogy Vital Records in online catalogs like:
- WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Tipton County, Indiana Web Sites
USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.Family History Library Catalog
Tipton County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)Tipton County Public Library Genealogy
Digitized Newspapers, Cemeteries, Marriages, Obituaries, and Pictures
Tipton County, Indiana References
- name="Handybook"&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).