Tockholes, Lancashire Genealogy
Tockholes St Stephen was created a chapel of ease in 1725 from, and lying within the boundaries of Blackburn St Mary, Lancashire Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Livesey.
In 1833 a large pit was discovered in Tockholes located in a field with the official title of "Pit Field", this field had previously been known locally as "Kill Field". In the pit was found the remains of some forty horses along with Cannon balls, Clubs and Large Buttons. At sometime during the Civil War either during the course of the Earl of Derby's movements between Preston, Bolton, and Blackburn in 1643, or during 1644 with the passage of Prince Rupert's army severe fighting took place about the lower part of Tockholes, in the vicinity of the church and then on to Cartridge-hill and Hollinshead Hall. Several cannon-balls have been picked up in other parts Tockholes, One was found in a field just above the Bethesda Chapel and another was found on Cartridge-hill, a lofty fell a mile or so further to the south above Hollinshead Hall. Musket bullets have also been found in a field behind the Old Independent Chapel only a short distance from the “Kill Filed” Pit. The artefacts recovered in Tockholes seem to indicate a severe battle in which troops, horses and musketeers were engaged and in which at least one piece of ordnance was brought into use by one side or the other. A battle whereby at least forty horses are killed does must have been quite a fierce one for such a small village. As the pit was found so close to the old Church of Tockholes, It is supposed that the bodies of the soldiers killed in the Battle would have be removed and buried in consecrated ground, Their weapons and items of Value being claimed by the prevailing side.
"TOCKHOLES, a township and chapelry, in the parish, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 3¾ miles south by southwest from Blackburn. The chapelry hitherto consisted of Tockholes and Livesey; but by a recent order of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, it now consists of the township of Tockholes, and parts of the townships of Livesey and Lower Darwen. The old chapel was dedicated to St Michael: the present edifice is dedicated to St. Stephen; it was built in 1833. The Independents have a place of worship.
The modern church of St Stephen was built in the 1960's including the arch of an 1833 rebuilding of the older church.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 366-369. URL:&nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 31 July 2010.