Toxteth Park St Clement, Lancashire Genealogy
Toxteth St Clement was built as a district church in the year 1841 and lay partly within the West Derby parish, and was also partly considered an extra-parochial tract within Liverpool.
There is some ambiguity as to the origin of the name. One theory is that the etymology is "Toki's landing-place". However, Toxteth is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, and at this time, it appears as "Stochestede", i.e. "the stockaded or enclosed place", from the Anglo-Saxon stocc "stake" and Anglo-Saxon stede "place" (found in many English placenames, usually spelled stead).
The ancient township of Toxteth contains the ancient village of Smeedon or Smithdown. It stretches over an area of three miles along the River Mersey and two miles inland, the highest point being on the corner of Smithdown Lane and Lodge Lane. An ancient brook ran from the northern end of the area towards the river, near the boundary of Parliament Street, where it was used to power a water wheel before it ran into the river. Along the river are two creeks, one near the middle is known as Knot's Hole and another further south called Dickinson's Dingle received a brook which ran past the east end of St Michael's Church.
TOXTETH-PARK, anextra-parochial district, in the union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire; forming the south or south-eastern suburb of the town of Liverpool; Dingle Chapel, originally episcopal, was rebuilt in 1774 as aPresbyterian place of worship, and was enlarged in 1842: there is a small endowment for the minister. The Independents, Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, Methodists of the New Connexion, Welsh Methodists and Baptists, and other dissenters, have also places of worship, chiefly at Harrington. St. Patrick's Roman Catholic chapel.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Online transcriptions exist for Toxteth Park St Clement's Chapelry registers as well as for Liverpool's ancient parish of St Nicholas' baptism, marriage and burial registers. Displayed below are those links to online data for both this chapelry and for the ancient parish of St Nicholas located in the following websites; note the ranges of years:
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk|
|TOXTETH PARK ST CLEMENT Chapelry (1841) Indexes|
|LIVERPOOL ST NICHOLAS PARISH (1604) Indexes|
To view a full list for Liverpool's Parishes, (nearly 60) chapelries, ecclesiastical churches, and district chapels, and to view online baptism, marriage and burial transcription indexes, visit the LIVERPOOL ST PETER & ST NICHOLAS PARISH page.
Toxteth Park St Clement's Chapelry (parish) registers are held at the Liverpool Record Office. These registers have also been microfilmed by FamilySearch and they are available through its 4600 FamilySearch Centers worldwide.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438719.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 380-386.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..