Translation Tools for Swedish Research
Back to Sweden Portal Page►
There are many great tools to help with the translation of Swedish. Here are some good ones with brief instructions:
Google Language Tools
Using the Google translator is now easier than ever (July 2011).
1. Go to the page in Swedish that you want to translate.
2. Once on the page, move your mouse pointer the text area and do a "right click" on the mouse.
3. Click on "Translate to English"
The Babel fish translation tool does not translate Swedish.
Keep in mind the technology behind the translation tools has become a lot better in recent years, but there are some challenges that the translation tools cannot handle very well. The challenges might be due to:
- The literal translation of a word does not always match the correct meaning. There are many words in Swedish that could have multiple meanings depending on the context of the subject.
- Some words look different from eachother (in spelling) but are very close to each other phonetically.
- There are fewer words in the Swedish language than in the English language.
- It is common to have Swedish words combined to what looks like one word.