Transylvania County, North Carolina Genealogy
|Transylvania County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
From 1789-1820, there was a boundary dispute between North Carolina and Georgia for a county known as Walton County. It was located in what is now Transylvania County, North Carolina, and the dispute was serious enough that the two states dispatched their militias in what was known as Walton's War. See copy of Map under below collections. Read more about Walton's War.
- Greenville County, South Carolina
- Oconee County, South Carolina
- Pickens County, South Carolina
- Census records on the Transylvania County NCGenWeb site - includes several mortality schedules
- Several NC state business directories are available online. Visit this list of directories, open the directory, and navigate to Transylvania County. Directories include information on area businesses and citizens.
- Brevard College Yearbooks, 1935-1998 -- digitized by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Transylvania County county students at NC colleges – via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
- Walton County, NC - now extinct, disputed county between NC & GA, includes history
- Maps of Transylvania County - via NC Maps website from UNC
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- Transylvania County newspapers - a listing of newspapers published in the county; via the Library of Congress
- North Carolina Newspaper Digitization Project - contains full-text papers from 1752-1890s. Search for your Carteret County ancestors.
- Transylvania Times - a current newspaper of Brevard, NC
- North Carolina Births and Christenings, 1866-1964 - search this name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state ; via FamilySearch
- North Carolina Marriages, 1762-1979 - via FamilySearch; images included
- Transylvania County marriages - are included in Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searcheable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- Transylvania County death certificates, 1913-1916
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - via FamilySearch; images included
- North Carolina Deaths & Burials, 1898-1994 - via FamilySearch
Societies and Libraries
Transylvania Genealogical Society, www.transylvaniagenealogy.com
Transylvania Heritage Museum, www.transylvaniaheritage.net
Family History Centers
- Transylvania GenWeb Project- free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Transylvania County Archives-USGenWeb
- Old Walton County, GA
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).