Tresco, Cornwall Genealogy
TRESCOE, one of the Scilly Islands; 2 miles NW of St. Mary's. It is next in size to St. Mary's; contains a village, called Dolphin.
Tresco St Nicholas was enlarged between 1822 and 1824 by Christopher Strick, surveyor, and enlarged again in 1835 and survived until replaced by the present building in 1879. It occupies the site of an earlier church.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Tresco, Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|Tresco, Cornwall Genealogy Parish Online Records|
||1677-1794, 1869-1885|| |
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- 1851 Jurisdiction Maps
- Vision of Britain
Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.