Truro Parish, Virginia
Truro Parish has served Prince William, Loudoun and Fairfax counties. Pohick Church fell within the bounds of Truro Parish. The Falls Church fell within the bounds of Truro Parish for a time during the eighteenth century, before it became a part of Fairfax Parish. Goose Creek Chapel (built 1736) served parishioners as a chapel of ease.
A survey of the graves at Pohick Church was published in 1981.
Earlier surveys of Falls Church Cemetery were conducted in 1923, c1939, 1989, and 1995.
A survey of the graves at Goose Creek Burying Ground was published in 1996 by the Thomas Balch Library. This book is available online at the Town of Leesburg website. (Is this the cemetery of Goose Creek Chapel??) FHL Book 975.528 V32L.
- Remey, Charles Mason. A Series of Twelve of the Preliminary Architectural Studies for a Mausoleum Known Now as the Remeum: For the Family of Rear Admiral George Collier Remey, United States Navy, and His Wife, Mary Josephine Mason, Built at Pohick Church Glebe, Truro Parish, Fairfax County, Virginia. Washington, D.C.: C.M. Remey, 1954. FHL Film 1036144 Item 7.
- Liddle, Chester A. and Patricia H. Osisek. Families of Pohick Church, Truro Parish, Fairfax County, Virginia. Baltimore, Maryland: Gateway Press, 1991. FHL Collection has original edition and two supplements.
- Hopkins, Margaret Lail and Nancy Hopkins Phillips. The Anglican Parishes of Loudoun County, Virginia, Truro, Cameron, and Shelburne, 1736-1805. Lovettsville, Virginia: Willow Bend Books, 1997. Available at FHL. Free Lookups Available!
- Slaughter, Philip and Edward Lewis Goodwin. History of Truro Parish in Virginia. Philadelphia, PA: George W. Jacobs, 1907. Available at FHL. Digital versions available at Ancestry ($); Family History Archives; Google Books (full-view); and World Vital Records ($).
Some births in the parish between 1730 and 1737 were recorded in the vestry book. Otherwise, colonial parish registers have been lost. Abstracts:
- Lee, Ida J. "Births from the Truro Parish Vestry Book," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 10, No. 2 (Apr. 1930):190. FHL Book 973 H25w; digital version at JSTOR ($).
Also published by Wright:
- Wright, F. Edward. Early Church Records of Alexandria City and Fairfax County, Virginia. Westminster, Md.: Family Line Publications, 1996. FHL Book 975.529 K2w.
These records have also been abstracted and indexed:
- Truro Parish and Pohick Church. Minutes of the Vestry, Truro Parish, Virginia, 1732-1785. Lorton, Va.: Pohick Church; Annandale, Va.: Baptie Studios, c1974. Available at FHL.
- The Falls Church (official website). Includes a history in "About" section.
- The Falls Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- The Falls Church Marker, [another description], The Historical Marker Database
- Pohick Church (official website)
- Pohick Church, The Historical Marker Database
- Wikipedia Contributors, "Pohick Church," Wikipedia, accessed 1 February 2011.
- "The Falls Church," in National Register of Historic Places Inventory, p. 8, accessed 17 February 2011.
- "Goose Creek Chapel", The Historical Marker Database.
- Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).
- Edna May Stevens, Lesba Lewis Thompson, and Sue E. Wood, Tombstone Records of Pohick Church, Fairfax County, Virginia (Owensboro, Ky., 1981).
- Fairfax County, Virginia Gravestones (Merrifield, Va.: Fairfax Genealogical Society, 1996-1998). Vols. III, V. (Falls Church appears in Volume III, pages FC-1 to FC-18; Pohick Church appears in Volume V, pages LR-35 to LR-131).
- Thomas Balch Library, Loudoun County, Virginia Cemeteries, A Preliminary Index (Lovettsville, Va.: Willow Bend Books, c1996).
- Colonial Churches: A Series of Sketches of Churches in the Original Colony of Virginia (Richmond, Va.: Southern Churchman Co., 1907), 122-128.
- Colonial Churches: A Series of Sketches of Churches in the Original Colony of Virginia (Richmond, Va.: Southern Churchman Co., 1907), 129-133.