Truro Parish, Virginia
Truro Parish has served Prince William, Loudoun and Fairfax counties. Pohick Church fell within the bounds of Truro Parish. The Falls Church fell within the bounds of Truro Parish for a time during the eighteenth century, before it became a part of Fairfax Parish. Goose Creek Chapel (built 1736) served parishioners as a chapel of ease.
- Liddle, Chester A. and Patricia H. Osisek. Families of Pohick Church, Truro Parish, Fairfax County, Virginia. Baltimore, Maryland: Gateway Press, 1991. FHL Collection has original edition and two supplements.
- Hopkins, Margaret Lail and Nancy Hopkins Phillips. The Anglican Parishes of Loudoun County, Virginia, Truro, Cameron, and Shelburne, 1736-1805. Lovettsville, Virginia: Willow Bend Books, 1997. Available at FHL. Free Lookups Available!
- Slaughter, Philip and Edward Lewis Goodwin. History of Truro Parish in Virginia. Philadelphia, PA: George W. Jacobs, 1907. Available at FHL. Digital versions available at Ancestry ($); Family History Archives; Google Books (full-view); and World Vital Records ($).
Some births in the parish between 1730 and 1737 were recorded in the vestry book. Abstracts:
- Lee, Ida J. "Births from the Truro Parish Vestry Book," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 10, No. 2 (Apr. 1930):190. FHL Book 973 H25w; digital version at JSTOR ($).
These records have also been abstracted and indexed:
- Truro Parish and Pohick Church. Minutes of the Vestry, Truro Parish, Virginia, 1732-1785. Lorton, Va.: Pohick Church; Annandale, Va.: Baptie Studios, c1974. Available at FHL.
- The Falls Church (official website). Includes a history in "About" section.
- The Falls Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- The Falls Church Marker, [another description], The Historical Marker Database
- Pohick Church (official website)
- Pohick Church, The Historical Marker Database
- Wikipedia Contributors, "Pohick Church," Wikipedia, accessed 1 February 2011.
- "The Falls Church," in National Register of Historic Places Inventory, p. 8, accessed 17 February 2011.
- "Goose Creek Chapel", The Historical Marker Database.
- Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).
- Colonial Churches: A Series of Sketches of Churches in the Original Colony of Virginia (Richmond, Va.: Southern Churchman Co., 1907), 122-128.