Tugthus, Oslo, Norway Genealogy
Microfilm at the Family History Library contain parish registers from the Oslo prison parish. It was its own parish 1732-1801 and was combined with the Hospital parish 1801-1823. In 1823 it was combined with Akershus Palace (Slottsmenigheten) parish and became Garnison parish.
Images of the church books are online at Digitalarkivet.
History of the parish
Tugthus congregation was its own parish from 1741 to 1801. In the time period, 1801-1823 it was combined with Oslo and Oslo Hospital. From 1823-1838 it belonged to Garnison parish. In 1838 it was again separated and had its own priest, who also served the Akershus Festnings Slaveri until 1854. Since then Kristiania Tukthus has had its own priest.
In 1881 the men's division at Kristiania Tukthus was discontinued. Since then it has been an institution for female prisoners for all of Norway and called Prison and Workhouse for Women.