Tydesley cum Shakerley, Lancashire Genealogy
Tydesley cum Shakerley was created a parochial chapelry in 1827 from, and lying within the boundaries of Leigh, Lancashire Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Shakerley.
"TYLDESLEY, or Tyldesley cum Shackerley (St. George), a township and parochial district, in the union of Leigh, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 10 miles (W. by N.) from Manchester; containing 4718 inhabitants. Tyldesley, though unnoticed in Domesday book, certainly formed part of the Norman barony of Warrington, being claimed to be within its jurisdiction in all pleas to quo warrantos by the lords of that honour or barony that have occurred. Under these barons, the proprietors who adopted the local name settled, holding by service of the tenth part of a knight's fee. The suits to the courts of the barony and hundred have long been disused; and the mesne manor, also, is nearly extinct. Of the family of Tyldesley was the celebrated royalist Sir Thomas Tyldesley. In 1672, Edward, the son of this gallant officer, sold the paternal estate to the Astleys, from whom it passed to Thomas Johnson, Esq., of Bolton, whose family held it until 1823: the property then came, by devise, to George Ormerod, Esq., of Chorlton, in Cheshire, the historian of that county. The hamlet of Shackerley is in the higher division of the township, and was until lately almost exclusively the property of a family of that name, who inhabited the Hall till the middle of the last century. It now belongs to the trustees of the late Ellis Fletcher, of Clifton. In 1827 the township was separated from Leigh, and erected into a distinct parish as regards ecclesiastical affairs. It comprises 2700 acres, of which 300 are arable, 800 meadow, 10 woodland, and the remainder pasture. About 2000 hands are employed in six cotton-mills, and the rest of the population is engaged in hand-loom weaving, in agriculture, and in collieries. The village of Tyldesley is situated on a luxuriant mount, and commands a very extensive prospect over mid-Lancashire, of which it is nearly the centre. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £148; patron, Lord Lilford. The church, erected in 1825, by Her Majesty's Commissioners, at a cost of £11,700, is a handsome structure of stone, designed by Smirke, in the later English style, with a spire rising to the height of 150 feet; it accommodates 1084 persons. The site was presented by the late Thomas Johnson, Esq.; and Mr. Ormerod gave a peal of bells, a painted window (the eastern), an organ, and ground for a cemetery: the communion-plate was the gift of Mrs. Ormerod. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and the Connexion of the Countess of Huntingdon. Among several antique mansions in Tyldesley is Astley Hall, or Damhouse, on the border of Astley, which see."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 407-411. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51359 Date accessed: 02 August 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Tyldesley- St George
Baptisms-1825-1859- MFPR 196
Burials-1825-1855- MFPR 196
Marriages-1829-1837- MFPR 196
See also Tyldesley, Tyldesley Chapel
Tyldesley- Tyldesley Chapel (Leigh parish)
Baptisms-1825-1828- MFPR 1028
Burials-1826-1828- MFPR 1030
The Manchester Room and Greater Manchester County Record Office
The Manchester Room@City Library (Local Studies)
Parish registers for Tydelesley cum Shakerley Microfilm of original records in the Wigan Record Office, Leigh, Greater Manchester, Lancashire, England.
Tyldesley was once a chapelry in the parish of Leigh.
The name of the church is St. George.
Baptisms, 1825-1895. FHL BRITISH Film 1885664
Baptisms, 1895-1900 (including some entries for 1901). FHL BRITISH Film 1885665
Marriages, 1829-1852. FHL BRITISH Film 1885666
Marriages, 1852-1900 (including some entries for 1901). FHL BRITISH Film 1885667
Burials, 1825-1900 (including some entries for 1901). FHL BRITISH Film 1885668
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.