US Mexican War Pension Records
Pensions were first granted to widows and minor children whose husbands or fathers had died in the service and to veterans who were disabled. Pensions based on 60 days of service were first granted to veterans or unremarried widows in 1887.
The only pension records that have been microfilmed are:
- Selected Pension Application Files for Members of the Morman Battalion, Mexican War, 1846–48. (NARA T1196)
- Mormon Battalion Pension Files (Fold3} ($)
- United States, Mormon Battalion Pension Applications, 1846-1923 (FamilySearch) - index only
Pension records for other soldiers have not been microfilmed and are available only at the National Archives.
A small number of individuals are mentioned in the 1883 Pension Roll.
- Mexican War Index to Pension Files, 1887–1926. National Archives Microfilm Publication T317. (FHL films 0537000–13) Alphabetically arranged and includes the veteran’s name, rank, and unit; names of dependents; date of filing and application; certificate numbers; act filed under; and state from which application was made.
- United States, Mexican War Pension Index, 1887-1926 (FamilySearch)
- Published versions of the above index are listed below:
- Troxel, Navena Hembree, and Susan Merrill Warner. Mexican War Index to Pension Files, 1886–1926. 13 Volumes. Plano, Texas: N. H. Troxel and S. M. Warner, 1983–92. (FHL book 973 M2mw) Entries list either the name of the veteran or widow’s application number or both, state or country, unit served, date of application, and residence at the time of application.
- White, Virgil D. Index to Mexican War Pension Files. Waynesboro, Tennessee: National Historical Publishing, 1989. (FHL book 973 M22mw) Entries include the name of the veteran and widow, certificate number, date of application, and unit served.
- Wolfe, Barbara Schull. An Index to Mexican War Pension Applications. Indianapolis, Indiana: Heritage House, 1985. (FHL book 973 M22w) Entries include the name, state where the veteran was living at the time of application, date of application, and application or certificate number.