Union County, Illinois Genealogy
|Union County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 2, 1818|
|Address|| 309 W. Market|
Jonesboro, IL 62952
- 1 Union County Information
- 2 Places / Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
Union County Information
|Beginning Dates for Union County Records|
Places / Localities
To see a list of places in Union County, click on [Show], in the bar above. The preceding list of places includes incorporated cities and towns, unincorporated towns and communities, and place names that may have been used in family histories. Some have well-organized records and even have web sites. Some are simply social communities with no official records, but which may be referenced in small-town newspapers. The list is provided to help researchers identify localities within the county. As records or histories of these localities are identified, a page will be added for each of these place names.
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
The Illinois Cemeteries page provides general explanations of the following online Union County resources:
|Bibliography||Online Gravestone Transcriptions||Cemetery Gazetteers|
|FHLC||Find A Grave | national search | county list||ePodunk|
|WorldCat||USGenWeb Tombstone Transcription Project|
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census. Washington, D.C., 1841. FHL 973 X2pc 1840; FHL 2321; digital version at Google Books. [See Illinois, Union County on page 188.]
FamilySearch has made parish records from two Belleville Diocese Catholic churches in Union County available online. The records include first communions, confirmations, marriages, and deaths:
- Church Records of St. Joseph Parish, Cobden, Union County, Illinois 1879-1956, browsable online (no index); courtesy: FamilySearch.
- Church Records of St. Mary Parish, Anna, Union County, Illinois 1861-1957, browsable online (no index); courtesy: FamilySearch.
- 1820-1824 Circuit Court Execution Dockets - IRAD-EIU Search for Union records. How to use IRAD
- 1818-1848 Circuit Court Record - IRAD-EIU Search for Union records. How to use IRAD
- 1818-1965 County Court and Probate Index - IRAD-EIU Search for Union records. How to use IRAD
- 1861-1873 County Court Execution Dockets - IRAD-EIU Search for Union records. How to use IRAD
- 1827-1851 Justice and Constable Appointment Record - IRAD-EIU Search for Union records. How to use IRAD
Order book, 1818-1848 FHL Film 963335 First of 2 films.
Records of Justices of the Peace by the Clerk County Commissioner, 1827-1851 FHL 95211
Jeana Gallagher compiled a list of Original Settlers of Union County, Illinois - Preemption before 1817. The list is available online, courtesy: Genealogy Trails.
1818-1887 Deeds FHL Film 963158 First of 21 films.
The online Shawnee Community College Local History Project includes a dozen personal interviews that give you a taste of historic Union County. Was your relative one of the interviewed individuals?
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Union County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Union County.
- - 30th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company B.
- - 31st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies E and H.
- - 60th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies A, B, and F.
- - 81st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company E.
- 1850-1854 Probate Administrator's and Guardian's Accounts - IRAD-EIU Search for Union records. How to use IRAD
- 1818-1965 Probate and County Court Index - IRAD-EIU Search for Union records. How to use IRAD
- 1845-1869 Probate Dockets - IRAD-EIU Search for Union records. How to use IRAD
- 1818-1885 Probate Minutes - IRAD-EIU Search for Union records. How to use IRAD
- 1856-1891 Probate Will Record - IRAD-EIU Search for Union records. How to use IRAD
- 1822-1965 Index FHL Film 963326 item 1
- 1818-1892 Probate Records FHL Film 963327 item 2 first of 8 films.
- 1818-1845, 1856-1868 Union County, Illinois Probate Records FHL Book 977.3995 P2da
- 1818-1907 - IRAD-EIU Search for Union records. How to use IRAD
- 1819-1873 Marriage consents FHL Film 964134 First of 2 films.
- 1818-1907 Marriages, 1818-1907 FHL Film 963179 First of 5 films.
- 1851-1900 Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900 at Ancestry–($);Index, INCOMPLETE
- To-1850 Illinois Marriages to 1850 at Ancestry–($);Index, INCOMPLETE
- 1790-1860 Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860 at Ancestry–($);Index, INCOMPLETE
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index
Societies and Libraries
| Genealogical Society of Southern Illinois
John A. Logan College Library
700 Logan College Road
Carterville, Illinois 62918
Telephone: 618-985-2828, Ext. 8338
Hours: vary by season, see website
|The Society focuses on Alexander, Clay, Clinton, Edwards, Franklin, Gallatin, Hamilton, Hardin, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Lawrence, Marion, Massac, Monroe, Perry, Pope, Pulaski, Randolph, Richland, Saline, St. Clair, Union, Wabash, Washington, Wayne, White, and Williamson counties. The Society's book and microfilm collection is housed at the John A. Logan College Library. The Society publishes a newsletter (click here for recent issues) and a quarterly journal The Saga of Southern Illinois (click here for a topical index that breaks down what has been published county-by-county).|
- Family History Library Catalog
- Union County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Union County, Illinois Genealogy Trails
- Don Patterson, "From old Rowan County, NC to Union County, IL," Rowan Roots, accessed 6 July 2011.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).