United States, Church Records of the Catholic Apostolic Church
| The factual accuracy of this article or section may be compromised due to out-of-date information.
You can improve the article by updating it.
Please add any comments to the talk page.
The Catholic Apostolic Church began in England in the early 1800s. Members settled in Potsdam, St. Lawrence County, New York, and New York City about 1851.
Check with local libraries for books with information about this denomination, for example:
- Kay Kirkham, A Survey of American Church Records, 1985.
- J. Gordon Melton, The Encyclopedia of America Religions, 3rd ed., 1989, p. 240
Sometimes church records of the Catholic Apostolic Church were kept in the individual churches and sometimes in the homes of the ministers. Past records may still be at the churches, with the present ministers, or at a local historical or genealogical society.
The following 2 steps will help you receive information from Catholic Apostolic Church records
Step 1. Choose which church or archive to contact
Contact the Catholic Apostolic church in your ancestor's area to request information. For sources with addresses and other information, see Tip 1
Step 2. Contact the clerk or minister
Request that the church's records be searched. Tell them what you would like them to look for, such as marriage information.
Be sure to give as much of the following information about your ancestor as possible:
- Dates your ancestor lived in the area
- Dates of birth/baptism, marriage, and death/burial (if they occurred in that area)
- Names of parents, siblings, spouse, and/or children
Ask if there is a fee for the search or send a contribution. When you send the fee or contribution, also send a self-addressed stamped envelope
Tip 1. How else could I find the address of
my ancestor's church?
The following has addresses, phone numbers, etc. for individual churches:
Melton, J. Gordon, ed. National Directory of Churches, Synagogues, and Other Houses of Worship, J. Gordon Melton, John Krol, editor
Melton, J. Gordon FHL 658178 973 K24nd Vols. 1, 2, 3, and 4
It is also available at many public libraries.
The following links may help you find sites with church addresses, photographs, background information, records, catalogs, etc.
To find the address of the Catholic Apostolic Church search on this site under parishes and missions.
You can find addresses, phone numbers, and some e-mail addresses for:
- Town, county, and college libraries in the American Library Directory, edited by Jaques Cattell Press FHL 125710.
- Historical societies in Directory of Historical Organizations in the United States and Canada, Wheeler, Mary Bray
These books are also available at many public and college libraries.
Other Helpful Wiki Articles
- United States, How to Find Genealogy Records
- United States Church Records
- United States Church History
- United States Churches by Denominations
- United States, Church Records, 1600s-the Present