United States, Revolutionary War, Virginia Pension Application Files (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: United States Revolutionary War, Virginia Pension Application Files, 1830-1875 .
What is in the Collection?
This collection contains half pay pensions of Virginia soldiers and sailors based on service in the Revolutionary War. The Virginia General Assembly granted the payment of half pay for life to the state's military and naval officers and others who served until the end of the war in state units within the state's borders or in the Continental Army. This collection is part of Record Group 15, Records of the Veterans Administration, and is National Archives Microfilm publication M910.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for United States, Revolutionary War, Virginia Pension Application Files, 1830-1875.|
Pension application files may contain the following information:
- Whether soldier or sailor
- Dates of military service
- Dates of pay
- Name of regiment
- Name of person issuing pay
How Do I Search the Collection
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- Type of military service, whether soldier or sailor
Search the Collection
To browse by image:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select "Soldiers and Sailors"
⇒Select the "Surname Range" which takes you to the images
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details such as a title, an occupation, or land ownership. Add this new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Continue to search the index and records to identify other relatives.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- You may need to compare the information of more than one person to make this determination.
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur.
What if I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for alias names, nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Look for an index. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
- Case Files of Claims for Half Pay and Pensions Based on Revolutionary War Service,1800-1859
- Library of Virginia Revolutionary War State Pensions
Related Wiki Articles
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "United States, Revolutionary War, Virginia Pension Application Files, 1830-1875." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Citing NARA microfilm publication M0910. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for United States, Revolutionary War, Virginia Pension Application Files, 1830-1875.|