United States Census 1790
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 00:57, 17 July 2008 by Smithce
Additional information may be found on the United States Census Portal page.
1790 Census Dates
2 August 1790 -1 May 1791 (1 Mar 1792)
Unique Features and Problems
- First time a nation wide count was taken (population was 3,929,214)
- No printed form or paper provided
- The jurisdiction of the 13 original covered actually the area of 17 states.
- Age brackets very limited, especially for the females.
- Since the census went until 1792, some children may have been counted that were not actually born by August 1790
- Only number of slaves accounted for, not ages.
- Indians that were not taxed were not included.
States Covered and Missing
|States Covered||States Missing|
Maine (part of Massachusetts)
| (Burned during the War of 1812: most have substitute lists)Delaware |
Tennessee part of (Southwest Territory)
(May have some type of substitute list or an area covering a county)
- Northwest Territory
- Southwest Territory