Liv was born in Kristiansund, Norway, and had her first encounter with genealogy at the Trondheim Archive at age 12. She came to the United States by herself in February of 1968.
After getting settled in Salt Lake City, Utah, she decided to get busy researching her family history. She visited what was then called the Genealogical Society of Utah, then located on main street in a walking distance from where she was sharing a house with room mates in the Avenues. By the time she had researched her four generation of ancestors on both of her parents side in the Lutheran church records and census records for Norway, the library moved to the Church Office Building and here she learned how to search probate records and mortgage records. This became a great hobby, and by the time the library again moved to the present building she learned how to search the military records, guardian records, and court records. By now she had identified many of her ancestors and and enjoyed helping others as they came for assistance at the Reference Counter.
Liv has worked for the Church in Family History for a total of 31 years. At first 5 years in the Evaluation Department, processing Individual entry sheets, and marriage entry sheets for temple work. She worked 11 years in the Cataloging Department, and since November of 1995 as a Scandinavian Research Consultant.
Business College, Norway (1966)
- Swedish, BYU Rexburg, Idaho
- Norwegian, BYU Provo, Utah
Certifed Genealogist CG
- Board of Certified Genealogists, Washington, DC
Taught the following classes:
- Stake Extraction of Norwegian Records 1980's.
- Norwegian, Swedish and Danish Research on the Internet at the Salt Lake Institute (1996).
- Finding them on the Internet:Norwegian Research at the Salt Lake Institute (2001).
- Norwegian Genealogy for the National Genealogical Society (NGS), in Milwauki, Wisconsin (2002).
- Danish Genealogy for the National Genealogical Society (NGS), in Milwauki, Wisconsin (2002).
- Finnish Genealogy for the National Genealogical Society (NGS), in Milwauki, Wisconsin (2002).
- Norweigan Vital Records, Probate Records and Gothic Script at the Idaho Falls Family History Conference in 2007.
- Norwegian Vital Records, Court Records, Probate and Emigration Records in Salem, Oregon 2008.
- The Internet: Norwegian Church & Probate Records for The Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy, 2008.
- Icelandic Histories & Norwegian Bygdebøker - Use Caution: Lars is NOT That Lars! for The Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy, 2008.
- Scandinavian Research in Bismark, ND (2008).
- Norwegian Research in Bismark, ND (2008).
- Norwegian Series two times each year at the Family History Library (FHL) in Salt Lake City, UT (1996 to present).
- Online Resources for Norway at the Welvy Family History Fair, West Jordan, UT, 2009.
- Finding John Johnsson in Sweden. Published in the National Genealogical Society Qarterly, March 2007.
- Finding Records of Your Ancestors, Part A NORWAY 1827 to 1900.
- Research Outline for Norway.
- Sons of Norway
- Trønderlag of Norwegian-American Bygdelagenes Fellesraad (NABF)