- This article is about a town in Plymouth County. For other uses, see Abington.
The first land grant in this area was to Nathaniel Souther, Secretary of the Plymouth Colony, in 1654. The first settler was Andrew Ford in 1668. This area was part of Bridgewater at that time and set off as its own town in 1712. Abington was in Plymouth Colony. The town was placed in Plymouth County when counties were formed in 1685. For a brief time, the town was part of the Dominion of New England from 1686 to 1689. The town is still in Plymouth County, though was in limbo, until the "Colony" was merged with Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1691 that became the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Abington at one time was called Manamooskeagin.
Village or section names include Center Abington, Musterfield, North Abington, Thicket, and West Abington.
|10 June 1712||Abington established from part of Bridgewater and adjoining land [Acts and Resolves - Mass. Bay, 21: 605].|
|14 June 1727||Part included in the new town of Hanover.|
|31 Mar. 1847||Border between Abington and Weymouth established.|
|21 Mar. 1861||Border between Abington and Randolph established.|
||Border between Abington and Hingham established.|
|9 Mar. 1874||Eastern part established as the new town of Rockland.|
|4 Mar. 1875||Southern part established as part of the new town of South Abington [now Whitman].|
Works written on the town include:
|1.||Benjamin Hobart, History of the Town of Abington, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, from its first settlement (Boston, 1866), 453 pp. The appendix of this book covers over hundred pages devoted to the genealogy of town families.|
||The appendix includes the families: Beal, Blake, Blanchard, Brown, Cobb, Cooke, Corthell, Dunbar, Dunham, Dyer, Ford, Gurney, Hobart, Howe, Howland, Hunt, Jacobs, Jenkins, King, Lane, Nash, Noyes, Payn (i.e. Paine), Pool, Pratt, Reed, Stetson, Studley, Thaxter, Torrey, Walker, Wheeler, and Whitman.|
||Digital version at Internet Archive, Google Books, and on Ancestry ($). WorldCat 1515424; FHL film 1033649.|
|2.||"History and Description of Abington, Mass., Aug. 1816" in Massachusetts Historical Society Collections, 2nd Series, 7 : 114-124.|
||No digital version available. WorldCat 741827093.|
|3.||Aaron Hobart, An Historical Sketch of Abington, Plymouth County, Massachusetts (Boston, 1839), 176 pp.|
||Digital versions at Internet Archive and Google Books. WorldCat 6702615; FHL fiche 6078737.|
|4.||Charles A. Snow, A Historical Discourse given on the 50th Anniversary of the Baptist Church, South Abington, Mass., November 6, 1872 (South Abington, Mass., 1873), 32 pp.|
||A digital version at Google Books.|
|5.||Abington Wikipedia page.|
The town's vital records are available in many locations:
|1.||Abington Town Clerk's Office, 500 Gliniewicz Way, Abington MA 02351, 781-982-2112, website.|
|2.||Vital Records of Abington, Massachusetts, to the year 1850 (Boston, 1912), 2 v.|
||Note: This includes, in part, church records from the First Church (C.R.1), Second Church of Christ (C.R.2), Third Church of Christ (C.R.3), Fourth Congregational Church (C.R.4), and First Baptist Church of Christ (C.R.5). Deaths are included from Mt. Vernon Cem. (G.R.1), Maplewood Cem. (G.R.2), Abiah Reed Cem. [now in Rockland] (G.R.3), Samuel Reed Cem. [now in Rockland] (G.R.4), Old Cem. [now in Rockland] (G.R.5), Lane Cem. [now in Rockland] (G.R.6), Wilkes Cem. [now in Rockland] (G.R.7), Beal Cem. [now in Rockland] (G.R.8), Mount Pleasant Cem. [now in Rockland] (G.R.9), High Street Cem. [now in Whitman] (G.R.10), Small Pox Cem. [now in Whitman] (G.R.11), Mount Zion Cem. [now in Whitman] (G.R.12), Colebrook Cem. [now in Whitman] (G.R. 13), Old Cem. [on Washington St.] (G.R. 14), Beech Hill Cem. [now in Rockland] (G.R. 15), Old Cem. [between Abington and North Abington] (G.R. 16), West Abington Cem. (G.R. 17), Cobb Family Burying Ground [West Abington] (G.R. 18), and The Plain Cem. [West Abington] (G.R. 19).|
||These volumes were microfilmed by the Family History Library (FHL film 873756 Items 1-2); and in digital version at Internet Archive and Google Books (vol. 1 and vol. 2). WorldCat 1044201; FHL book 974.482/A1 V2v.|
|3.||Microfilm of the originals created by the Family History Library, 1712-1860, FHL films 904376–904378, 770907; 1850-1905, FHL films 2111177–2111178.|
|4.||Microfiche of the originals created by the Holbrook Research Institute covering town records that included vital records and a few other town records, 1712-1892, on 79 fiche. Soon to be part of ‘’Massachusetts, Town Vital Collections, 1620–1988’‘ at Ancestry– ($); Index|
|5.||Official state copy of vital records starting in 1841. See the guide to the state for more information here.|
The following is a list of cemeteries in present-day Bridgewater. Remember that the "old" town included present-day East Bridgewater, West Bridgewater, and Brockton. For more details regarding these cemeteries, see the state guide under cemeteries for books on the subject.
- Adams Street Burying Ground [called Old Cem. in VRs], n.d. (A)
- Bicknell Family Tomb, n.d.
- Cobb Family Burying Ground. (A)
- Cushing Family Tomb.
- Gould Family Burial Ground or Indian Cemetery, 1798.
- Hillside Cemetery, 18th Century.
- Hunt Family Tomb, n.d.
- Island Grove Cemetery or Centree Cemetery or French's Burying Ground, n.d.
- Mount Vernon Cemetery, 1732. (A)
- Old Church Burying Ground. (A)
- Plain Cemetery, n.d. (A)
- Richards Family Burial Ground.
- Torrey Family Burying Ground.
- West Abington Cemetery, n.d. (A)
Abstracts of the cemeteries above are marked and keyed to: (A) Vital Records of Abington, Massachusetts, to the year 1850 (Boston, 1912). [See links above for various versions of this source.]
The following is a list of churches established in town in order of organization date (if known) and condition of records in the 1889 survey if listed.
- First Congregational Church, 1712, records good.
- New Jerusalem Society, 1835, records good.
- Fourth Congregational Church, North Abington, 1839, records good.
- First Universal Church, 1863, records good.
- St. Bridget's Roman Catholic Church, 1864, records unknown.
- Second Advent Church, n.d., church extinct by 1889, record location unknown.
- First Baptist Church of Abington, 1886.
- Assembly of God Brazilian Church, n.d.
- Flame of the Covenant, n.d.
- Joy in Life Luthern Church, n.d.
- Life Giving Church, n.d.
- South Shore Community Church, n.d.
- Weekly News, 1878-1879.
- Abington Advertiser, 1962-1965, 1993-present.
- Abington Mariner, 1990-present.
Libraries and Historical Societies
The following is list of research facilities in town:
- Abington Historical Commission, 500 Gliniewicz Way, Abington MA 02351, 781-982-0059, website.
- Abington Public Library, 600 Gliniewicz Way, Abington MA 02351, 781-982-2139, website.
- Dyer Memorial Library, 28 Centre Ave., PO Box 2245, Abington MA 02351, 781-878-8480, website.