User:HardestyPN/Sandbox Finding Births
FINDING UNITED STATES BIRTH RECORDS
Why would I want to search for a birth record?
- It can help you extend a generation to the parents of the child.
- Can give indicate where the parents were born
What information does a birth record include?
- Name of child
- Birth date and place of child
- Father’s name
- Mother’s name including maiden
- Birthplace of parents
What you need to know about birth records in the U.S.:
- Each state has a different year when births began to be recorded depending on when their state law was passed. [Link to list of state registration]
- Most states began recording births between 1900 and 1930.
- New England states [define New England states] started recording births on the town level starting as early as the first residents of the town. [add link to page about obtaining birth records from the town clerk]
- Some states in the Midwest [define Midwest states] began recording births on the county level as early as 1860s. [add link to page about obtaining birth records from a county courthouse]
ACTION: How to find your ancestor’s birth record: The order of looking for birth records is the following:
- Check the internet
- Check repositories, such as archives and libraries (FHL)
- Obtain it from the government agency ($$)
Question 1: Where Did the Birth Occur?