Christopher is a bookbinder, book artist, and a book and paper conservator who is experienced with archival materials, examinations, and treatments. He is skilled in a broad range of bookbinding and conservation techniques and knowledgeable in several aspects of preservation. He began his career when a leaky water heater caused several of his personal memorabilia being water-damaged. This led Chris to pursue a career in conservation with the idea that he could not only better preserve his own records but help others do the same.
- Senior Conservator, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Family and Church History Department, March 2001 to present
- Book Conservator, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University,
- Provo, Utah, June 1995 to February 2001
- Bookbinding Instructor, Brigham Young University Art Department, Provo, Utah, January 1996 to May 2001
- Book Arts Instructor, University of Utah Marriott Library Book Arts Program, Salt Lake City, Utah, August 1999 to present
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Printmaking, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, August 1993
- Master of Fine Arts in Book Arts, The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, August 1995
- Internship in Book Conservation, Cincinnati Medical Heritage Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, May-June 1994
- Member of the American Institute for Conservation, January 1996 to January 1998, January 2000 to present
- Member of the Guild of Book Workers, October 1994 to present
- Guild of Book Workers Standards of Excellence Chair, November 2006 to present
LECTURES, PUBLICATIONS, ETC.
- CASED MICROCLIMATES: AN ALTERNATIVE TO THE CLAMSHELL BOX, Guild of book Workers Newsletter, June 1998.
- DAZZLING BOOK DISPLAYS ON A BUDGET with Pamela Barrios at the Utah Library Association conference. May 13, 1999
- THE ROOT CELLAR IS NOT THE PLACE TO KEEP YOUR ROOTS at the UGA Family History Conference. April 2002
- THE DRAMA, THE DREAMS, THE REALITY: WAKE FROM YOUR PRESERVATION NIGHTMARE at the UGA Family History Conference. April 2003.
- PRESERVING FAMILY HERITAGE, an interview on the KBYU television series, Questions & Ancestors. 2006.
- Preservation Lecture for ARMA International, Taylorsville Utah City Hall. 16 November 2006.
- KEEPING RECORDS AND HOW TO KEEP THEM, a lecture at the BYU Marriott Library Special Collections. 3 October 2007
- POSH PORTFOLIOS AND CLASSY CLAMSHELLS WORKSHOP at the University of Utah Marriott Library Book Arts Studio. October 25, 2008
- FROM SHOE BOX TO ARCHIVE: PRESERVING PERSONAL RECORDS THROUGH ORGANIZATION, Church History Library Lecture, 10 September 2009
- KEEPING RECORDS AND HOW TO KEEP THEM, a lecture at the Ogden Family History Conference, 12 September 2009
- CLICK, RIP, PRINT, OR BURN? HOW CAN I PRESERVE MY DIGITAL RECORDS?, Church History Library Lecture, 10 December 2009