Find children missing from a family by using the 1900 & 1910 United States Census
Certain census records identified the number of children born and how many were still living. This information may help you verify that all children in a family are accounted for.
Step 1. Find the family in the 1900 or 1910 census
Use information you know to search for them at:
Step 2. Read the row of information for the mother in the family
- Read across until you find the number of children born and those now living.
- Compare the numbers with the children you know about
Step 3. Find any missing children in another record
Records are kept by localities such as city, county, state and country. What you know about the family will help you select the next record and jurisdiction. Some records will be online and many others are on microfilm or original paper form.
- other census years(state or country)
- church records(town or county)
- cemetery records(town or county)
- vital records(county or state)