User group meeting & agenda 20 January 2009
Proposing ideas for this agenda
To propose or discuss ideas for this agenda, please use the Discussion tab above. As the meeting draws near, we will review the items proposed on the Discussions page and decide which ones should get highest priority on the agenda.
- Assignment of time keeper and note taker
- Introduction of new members: 10 seconds for name and desired takeaways.
- Prayer --
- Review of Minutes
- Today's agenda preview
Carryover from Last Week
Facilitator was Michael Ritchey, Note taker was Jimmy Parker.
Prayer by Alan Mann
This week, there are now [#] registered users of the FamilySearch Wiki. That is an increase of [#] new registered users over the last week.
David Dilts, Barbara Baker, David Samuelson, Michael Ritchey, Alan Mann, James Anderson, Mollie Forbes, Anne Roach, Baerbel Johnson, Sister Felsted, Elder Dennis Reed? from Australia (serving in British Reference in the Library)
Jimmy Parker, Lise Embley, Thomas Lerman
- Michael discussed the use of the agenda for the Users Group Meeting. This meeting does not "belong" to the Wiki Administration Team. It exists to aid the users. Therefore, items discussed should come from the users themselves and be the things they have questions about, problems they have faced, etc. There have not been many items on the agenda nor the discussion page. Michael does not want the meeting to be driven by agenda items headquarters puts on the agenda. So, if users want items discussed, we need to put that item on the agenda or on the discussion page for the next meeting.
- A question was raised about deleting re-directs and editing the new pages when they are a re-direct. It is possible to go to the redirected page and remove the codes. The question is, "should the re-directs be removed?" If someone could think in terms of that terminology, there should probably be a re-direct or a "see" reference on a page titled in that way. In other words, if we want a person to be able to search by the first term, we should leave the page in the Wiki, with either a re-direct or a "see" reference to the new page. If a re-direct is removed, check "What links here?" on the Toolbox to make sure other links are not broken by removing the re-directs.
- There was a discussion about disambiguation pages for place names. [The note-taker was interrupted and missed part of this discussion. Perhaps someone who heard the whole discussion could add more here.]
- Michael thanked everyone who has signed up to contribute toward the Maryland barn-raising. Several have signed up for various tasks and are working on the simple time-consuming tasks, as well as the more complicated topics and tasks.
- Elder Dennis Reed? (the sound was a little garbled when he was introduced. Apologies if the name is wrong], an Australian missionary serving in the British Reference area of the Family History Library, was introduced.
- All users: Add items to the agenda for next meeting.