Directories are alphabetical lists of names and addresses. These often list all the adult residents of a city or an area. They are similar to modern telephone books. Beside addresses and occupations, they may also give locations of streets and voting districts which will help you locate other records.
Directories of heads of households have been published for major cities in Utah. Some directories cover several cities. Listed below are some of the major ones for Salt Lake City and surrounding areas.
- Salt Lake City (Utah) City Directories. Woodbridge, Connecticut: Research Publications, 1980–1984. (On 24 Family History Library films beginning with 1377409.) This is a complete series covering Salt Lake City, Ogden, Provo, Logan, and Springville containing early directories from 1867 to the 1890s, then to 1935 for Salt Lake City. Some of the original directories have been indexed in the Early Church Information File.
- Salt Lake City Directory for the Year 1873: Embracing a General List of Residents, and a Business Directory; and Also General Information of Value to the Citizens of Salt Lake City, and Business Men in General: Together with an Appendix, Full of Interesting and Instructive Matter, Regarding the Social, Political and Religious Affairs in Utah Territory. Salt Lake City, Utah: Hannahs, 1873. (Family History Library book 979.2258 E4h; film 940049.)
- Salt Lake City Directory for 1889: Containing a Description of the City and its Attractions, Public Buildings, Churches, Schools, Libraries, Banks, Resorts, Amusements, etc. with a Full List of Government Territorial, County, and Municipal Officers, a Complete Business Directory and Guide to Public Streets and Avenues. N.p.: Kelly & Company, 1889. (Family History Library book 979.225 E4k 1889; film 940049 item 2.) This has been indexed in the Early Church Information File.
To locate all other directories for Utah cities look in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
- UTAH, [COUNTY], [TOWN] - DIRECTORIES
- UTAH, [COUNTY] - DIRECTORIES
- UTAH - DIRECTORIES
Good collections are also found at:
- the Salt Lake Public Library at http://www.slcpl.lib.ut.us/index.jsp
- the Utah State Historical Society at http://history.utah.gov/
- the Marriott Library of the University of Utah at http://www.lib.utah.edu/, and other university and public libraries.
- US City Directories This web site identifies printed, microfilmed, and online directories and their repositories.