Most family history periodicals reprint copies of local sources of genealogical value. These may include biographical sketches, genealogies, information about local records and archives, queries, census indexes, transcripts of family Bibles, church records, court records, cemetery indexes, land records, newspaper notices, obituaries, research queries, vital records, and wills.
Periodicals. The following periodicals will help in researching Utah families. The "Societies" section of this outline lists the addresses of some societies and associations who have published the periodicals. Most of the periodicals have been indexed in PERSI and the Early Church Information File. They are:
- Crossroads: (Utah Genealogical Association: Salt Lake City, Utah). Utah Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 1144, Salt Lake City, UT 84110. (Family History Library book 973 D25gj.) This quarterly publication contains articles written by family history researchers on sources and research methods. Reviews on genealogical and historical books are included.
- The Pioneer, (Sons of the Utah Pioneers). 1953?, 1981–. National Society of the Sons of Utah Pioneers, 3301 East 2920 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84109. (Family History Library book 979.2 H25p; film 824069 item 5.) A magazine produces biographies and histories. Lists members who have died giving their age at death. Some issues have been indexed in the Early Church Information File. This periodical is not indexed in PERSI.
- Utah Genealogical and Historical Magazine. 31 Volumes. 1910–1940. Genealogical Society of Utah. (Family History Library book 979.2 H25u; films 564348–55; index to Volumes. 1–31 on film 1320674 item 43.) This magazine was published quarterly from 1910 to 1940. Yearly indexes of subjects and people have been combined into one volume. Genealogies are published throughout the magazines. Biographies have been indexed in the Early Church Information File.
- Utah Historical Quarterly. 1928–. Utah State Historical Society, 300 Rio Grande, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101–1182. (Family History Library book 979.2 H2u.) This magazine has histories of people, small places, and institutions. The table of contents for all the volumes can be found on their Internet site. You may access a few of the articles through the same site. These have also been added to a compact disc called Utah Centennial History Suite. See the "History" section of this outline for more information.
Indexes. Most of the periodicals listed above have annual indexes in the last issue of each year. For nationwide indexes to these and other family history periodicals see:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). 31+ Volumes. Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1986–1. (Family History Library book 973 D25per 1847–1985; fiche 6016863 [set of 40 (1847–1985]); book 973 D25per (1986–1997); fiche 6016864 [set of 15 (1986–1990)].) This indexes over 1.1 million articles in over 5,000 English-language and French Canadian family history periodicals. For further instructions see the Periodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119). For easier-to-use, more complete, computer editions of the index see:
- Periodical Source Index CD-ROM. Orem, Utah: Ancestry™, and the Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1997. (Family History Library compact disc no. 61.) This disc does not circulate to Family History Centers. It merges all 31+ volumes into one index.
- Periodical Source Index Online Search. In HeritageQuestOnline.com [Internet site] available at http://persi.heritagequestonline.com/hqoweb/library/do/persi. This online index is available at Family History Centers free of charge. It is also available to HeritageQuestOnline.com members for a subscription fee.
In Ancestry.com [Internet site]. [Orem, Utah]: Ancestry, 1999. Available at:
This online database is available only to Ancestry.com members for a subscription fee.
For more family history periodicals, search in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
UTAH - PERIODICALS
UTAH - GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
UTAH - HISTORY - PERIODICALS
UTAH - SOCIETIES - PERIODICALS
Other Utah libraries and archives also collect periodicals. Some of their catalogs are available on the Internet. Periodicals may be available through interlibrary loan to your local public library.