Vanderburgh County, Indiana Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Gilbert, Frank M., and Bettie Anne Cook. History of the City of Evansville and Vanderburg[H] County, Indiana. (Evansville, Ind. (21 1st Ave., Evansville 47710): Tri-State Genealogical Society, 1988.) 977.233 H2h FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries
- Elliott, Joseph P. A History of Evansville and Vanderburgh County, Indiana; A Complete and Concise Account from the Earliest Times to the Present, Embracing Reminiscences of the Pioneers and Biographical Sketches. (Evansville, Ind: Keller Print. Co, 1970.) FHL US/CAN Film 1320644 Item 2 FHL Collection other libraries Google books Family History Archives
Civil War service men from Vermillion County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Vermillion County.
- 1st Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company A and Reorganized Company A
- 4th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company F
- 10th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies A, B, G, and M
- 14th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company E
- 24th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, and C
- 30th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company A
- 42nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 65th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H
- 91st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 120th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 136th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Companies A, B, and C
- 28th US Colored Troops, Company D, E, G, and Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
- Evansville Argus - African-American newspaper published from June 25, 1938 to October 22, 1943. The Editor and founder of the Evansville Argus Publishing Company was J. Wendell Holder. The David Rice Library at the University of Evansville has digital issues of (almost) the full run available freely online.
Societies and Libraries
- Vanderburgh County, INGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Vanderburgh County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).