Vernon County, Missouri Genealogy
Guide to Vernon County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Vernon County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||February 17, 1851|
|Address|| Vernon County Courthouse|
100 W Cherry Street
Nevada, MO 64772
Vernon County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has birth and death records 1883-1904;
Recorder of Deeds has marriage and land records;
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court recordsc;
Probate Court has probate records; County Historical
Societ has burial records
- See an interactive map of Vernon County border changes at N2Genealogy.
Places / Localities
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
For tips on accessing Vernon County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
- Map of Vernon County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Vernon County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Civil War Battles
The following Civil War Battles was fought in Vernon County
Map showing Civil War battles in Missouri
Vernon County Probate Index, 1855-1963 On-line. Index may be searched by surname of the deceased, the administrator or the heirs. Record copies may be ordered for a nominal sum. The index provides the following:
• Deceased surname
• Deceased given name
• Comment re deceased
• File type
• Date of Probate
• Administrator surname
• Administrator given name
• Heirs surname
• Heirs given name
• Relationship to Deceased
• Field 12
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Vernon County, Missouri. Page 406 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 9 August 2012)
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 15 August 2012)