Veteran Battalion, 14th and 15th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The Veteran Battalion, 14th and 15th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was formed when the 15th Regiment, Illinois Infantry consolidated with the 14th Regiment, Illinois Infantry on July 1, 1864. On April 28, 1865, the battalion was reorganized into a regiment again with new recruits.
"Compendium of the War of the Rebellion" by Frederick H. Dyer contains no history for this unit..
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Rosters of soldiers and their residences are found at Illinois Civil War Rosters.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Illinois GenWeb, 15th Illinois Infantry Regiment, (accessed 21 October 2011).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).