Victoria Births, Marriages, and Deaths
The online Historical Index contains:
- Births in Victoria from 1853 to 1908
- Marriages in Victoria from 1853 to 1942
- Deaths in Victoria from 1853 to 1985
- Church baptisms, marriages and burials in Victoria from 1836 to 1853.
An online index can be searched for entries for these dates. Viewing search results costs a small fee ($0.99 as of Nov 2011). Viewing scans of the actual record is allowed on payment of a larger fee.
An image (uncertified record) can also be purchased and received over the internet, or a certified record can be purchased online and then mailed to you.
The Marine Index covers births, deaths and marriages on board ships coming to Victoria from 1853 to 1907, including ships' names.
- It is best to search for only basic information, such as the family name, one given name and a short year range for registration.
- An asterisk (*) after a letter searches for all words beginning with that letter or letters.
- Death index entries before 1879 list the deceased's place of birth instead of listing a place of death. Avoid using this as search criteria, as the entries use abbreviations that will not return a result.
- Do not use the "Back" or "Forward" buttons on your browser. Instead, use the grey buttons on the screen to navigate the transaction.
- Avoid using "Father's family name" as a search criteria in the birth search. The index entries usually contain abbreviations that will not return a result.
- Avoid using "Place of birth" or "Place of death" as search criteria. Index entries usually contain abbreviations that will not return a result.
- Avoid using "Place of event" as a search criteria in a marriage search. The index entries do no contain this information.
Location of Original Records
Victorian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
Ground floor, 595 Collins Street Melbourne
GPO Box 4332
Melbourne VIC 3001
Telephone, local: 1300 369 367 (from within Australia)
Telephone, International:+ 61 3 9613 5111 (from outside Australia only)