Victoria County, Texas Genealogy
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Colonization started in 1824 mainly by Mexican settlers. The first settlement was in 1720 which consisted of a Spanish mission and presidio.
1836--Victoria County was created 17 March 1836 from an Old Mexican Municipality County seat: Victoria 
Places / Localities
Teachers' Registers for Victoria County, 1888-1976 are listed by volume and name and number of the school district, the teachers' name, the school year and the shelf and box number where each volume is archived. These registers list names of students, divided according to grade level and often by gender. Researchers can come to the Victoria Regional History Center or contact the staff for specific lookups.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- TEXAS GenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).