Virginia's Southside Light Artillery
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 15:15, 3 November 2010 by Claudiaj64
- Organized in January 1862
- It was assigned to the 2nd Regiment Virginia Artillery and when that unit disbanded, it became an independent command.
- For a time the battery was unattached, then it served in the Department of North Carolina and Southern Virginia and later the Department of Richmond.
- It participated in various conflicts around Suffolk and in the siege operations against Petersburg. However, much of its service was at Drewry's Bluff.
- Converted to infantry, the company ended the war at Appomattox. Where 1 officer and 67 men surrendered.
- Commanders were Captains John W. Brewry and James B. Jones.
- AKA - Drewry's Company, Virginia Artillery
Men from Chesterfield County