United States Virginia Gazetteers
Several helpful guides to places in Virginia have been published, including:
- 1835: Martin, Joseph. A New and Comprehensive Gazetteer of Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Charlottesville: J. Martin, 1835. (Family History Library book 975 E5m; film 897469.); digital versions at Ancestry ($); Family History Archives.
- 1904: Gannett, Henry. The Gazetteer of Virginia. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1904. Digital version at Internet Archive.
- 1908: Long, Charles Massie. Virginia County Names: Two Hundred and Seventy Years of Virginia History. New York and Washington: The Neale Publishing Company, 1908. Digital version at Google Books.
- 1969: Hanson, Raus McDill. Virginia Place Names. Verona, Virginia: McClure Press, 1969. (Family History Library book 975.5 E5h.)
- 1971: Topping, Mary, et al. Approved Place Names in Virginia. Charlottesville, Virginia: University Press of Virginia, 1971. (Family History Library book 975.5 E2t; fiche 6051296.) This is not a comprehensive gazetteer, but it lists all place names that have been approved by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names.
|Links to Virginia-related articles (see also West Virginia-related articles)|
gone to KY
gone to WV
Bristol Public Library · Germanna Foundation Library · Handley Regional Library · Historical Society of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) · Historical Society of Washington, D.C. · John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library at Colonial Williamsburg · Jones Memorial Library · Library of Congress (Washington, DC) · Library of Virginia · Mary Ball Washington Museum and Library · Maryland State Archives (Annapolis, MD) · National Archives I (Washington, DC) · National Archives II (College Park, MD) · National Archives at Philadelphia (PA) · National Genealogical Society · New York Public Library (New York City, NY) · Pennsylvania State Archives (Harrisburg, PA) · Portsmouth Public Library · Roanoke County Public Library · Salisbury University Edward H. Nabb Research Center for Delmarva History and Culture (Salisbury, MD) · Santa Cruz Public Library Downtown (Santa Cruz, CA) · University of Virginia Library · Virginia Department of Health · Virginia Historical Society · Virginia Theological Seminary · Washington National Records Center (Suitland, MD) · William and Mary College Swem Library