Cemetery records (including burial records, monumental or memorial inscriptions), sometimes provide birth, marriage, death, and occupational information. They sometimes give clues to military service, residence, and cause of death.
To find cemetery records, you need to know where an individual was buried. The person may have been buried in a church, city, or public cemetery—usually near the place where he or she lived or died. You can find clues to burial places in church records, death certificates, or family histories.
Before the Burial Acts of 1852 and 1853, most people were buried in church cemeteries. If the person was buried in a church cemetery, you may need to use church burial records.
Welsh family history societies are transcribing the cemetery inscriptions from their local areas. Some societies have also compiled the indexes from several cemeteries. Check with the society in your area of interest to learn more about their work.
It is also possible to gain access to cemetery inscriptions through the Internet. There are lists of people on the Internet who volunteer to search various types of records for certain areas free of charge. You can locate these lists through the GENUKI website at:
From the above site:
- Click [County of your choice]
- Click Genealogy
- Click Look-up Exchange
The Family History Library has copies of many transcriptions of cemetery inscriptions including many from Glamorgan, Gwynedd, Dyfed, Clwyd and Gwent. Look in the Locality Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
- WALES - CEMETERIES
- WALES, [COUNTY] - CEMETERIES
- WALES, [COUNTY], [PARISH] - CEMETERIES
The following inventory will identify cemetery records which may not be found in the Family History Library Catalog:
- Smith, Frank. Smith’s Inventory of Genealogical Sources: Wales. 14 vols. Salt Lake City, Utah: Family History Library, 1994. (Family History Librarybook 942.9 D23s; fiche 6110529;). This is a subject and surname index to items within selected periodicals, books, and films.
- Find burial records and monumental inscriptions for Wales
- Welsh Gravestones, for an English translation of common monumental inscriptions in Welsh.
- Wales Church Records, for more information on burial records
- Societies, for more information on family history societies
- Municipal cemeteries in Glamorgan
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Research Outline: Wales (Salt Lake City: Corporation of the President, 2000), 13.