Walker County, Alabama Genealogy
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Parent Counties|
|Walker County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||December 26, 1823|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County CourthouseWalker County Courthouse
1801 3rd Avenue
Jasper, AL 35501
Phone: (205) 384-7268
Records burned 1877
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records 
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
LDS Cemetery Records
US Vol. 24 page 1 - Popular Springs Cemetery
- Cemetery Records of Jefferson and Walker Counties, Alabama. Salt Lake City, Utah: The Society?, 1945. Digital version at Ancestry ($). Includes Chicksaw Cemetery, Coal City Cemetery, Easley Cemetery, Fike Cemetery, Holly Grove Cemetery, King Family Cemetery, Manasco Cemetery, and New Hope Cemetery.
Land and Property
To place a grant or deed on a map within context of Walker County, Alabama Genealogy see:
- Boyd, Gregory A. Family Maps of Walker County, Alabama: with Homesteads, Roads, Waterways, Towns, Cemeteries, Railroads, and More. Norman, Okla.: Arphax Pub. Co., 2007. This is a definitive work and can be used as an index to land grants. Digital version at HistoryGeo.com ($). Website includes free surname index. FHL Book 976.176 E7b.
- Dombhart, John Martin. History of Walker County: Its Towns and Its People. Thornton, Ark.: Cayce Pub. Co., c1937. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection. Incomplete.
- 1892-1897 - "Walker County Marriages, Book C 1892-1897," Walking Back in Time, Vol. 15, No. 3 (Sep. 2004):49; Vol. 15, No. 4 (Dec. 2004):72-73; Vol. 16, No. 1 (Mar. 2005):9; Vol. 16, No. 2 (June 2005):17-18; Vol. 16, No. 3 (Sep. 2005):39-40; Vol. 16, No. 4 (Dec. 2005):62-63. Digital version of Vol. 15 at FamilySearch Books Online; and Vol. 16 at FamilySearch Books Online - both free.
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Alabama Voting Registers for 1867 are available online at the Alabama Department of Archives and History. Walker County has two books:
Societies and Libraries
The Carl Elliott Regional Library has the following libraries in Winston County:
- Carbon Hill Public Library
215 2nd Street NW
Carbon Hill, Alabama 35549
- Jasper Public Library
98 18th Street East
Jasper, Alabama 35501
- Sumiton Public Library
416 State Street
P. O. Box 10
Sumiton, Alabama 35148
Family History Center
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Jasper Alabama
- 1612 18th Ave
Jasper, Walker, Alabama, United States
Hours: T 5pm-9pm; Th 10am-2pm
- 1612 18th Ave
- USGenWeb project may have maps, name indexes, history, or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- Walker County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- Walker County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Walker County p. 40. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).