Walker County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Walker County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Adopted by TXGenWeb Walker County
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Walker County Courthouse
1100 University Avenue PO Box 210
Huntsville, Texas 77340
County Clerk has marriage, lande and court records from 1846,
birth, death and probate records; District Clerk has divorce records
The county was under martial law for a time in 1871 because of the resistance to Reconstruction.
Places / Localities
The Walker County Historical Society published cemetery records, volumes 1, 2, and 3. Volumes 1 and 2 are available online at the historical society website.
Individual cemeteries and burial sites:
- Magnolia Cemetery, Katy BillionGraves
- Sam Houston Grave, Huntsville Only one burial, marked by a rather large monument stone given the historic significance of Sam Houston himself in the history of Texas.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 Texas, Death Index, 1964-1998 (FamilySearch Historical Records) Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- Walker County Genealogical Society Includes cemetery database, Walker County history books, historical pictures and Bible records.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Walker County, Texas. Page 675 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).