Walmersley, Lancashire Genealogy
WALMERSLEY, [Christ Church] a township, in the parish and union of Bury, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 2¼ miles (N. by E.) from Bury, on the road to Haslingden and Burnley; containing, with the ecclesiastical parish of Shuttleworth, 4880 inhabitants. This township is situated on the east side of the river Irwell, and comprises, with Shuttleworth, 5056 acres, of which 582 are uninclosed; the surface is hilly and undulated, and the soil chiefly clay. Whittle Pike is in the township, and from its elevated summit may be seen, on a clear day, the estuary of the Mersey, near Runcorn. The population is for the most part employed in six cotton-mills, in some calico-printing works, and in grinding dye-woods. The Burrs cotton-works here, are the property of Messrs. Thomas Calrow and Sons, and are turned by two water-wheels of 40-horse power: these works were formerly in the possession of the Peels, and were carried on by them. There are also a colliery, and four stone-quarries. A district church dedicated to Christ, in the early English style, with a tower, was built in 1837, at a cost of £2300. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Trustees; net income, £110, with a house. The tithes of Walmersley have been commuted for £66, and the glebe here consists of 51 acres. In the township are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. William Grant, in 1842, left the interest of £400 towards the support of a national school.—See Shuttleworth.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 444-449. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51372 Date accessed: 03 August 2010.
Walmersley Christ Church was created a chapel of ease in 1741 from, and lying wihtin the boundaries of Bury St Mary, Lancashire Ancient Parish. Other places in the parish include: Summerseat.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
The Genealogical Society of Utah has no microfilm for parish registers.
Bishop's transcripts for Ramsbottom, 1838-1854 Microreproduction of original manuscripts housed at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston. Includes bishop's transcripts from the Chapelry of Ramsbottom and the Chapelry of Walmersley (Christchurch), both in the parish of Bury. Lancashire Record Office: DRM/2/66
| Baptisms and burials of the Chapelry of Ramsbottom, 1850-1854. Includes baptisms and burials of the Chapelry of Walmersley (Christ- church), 1838-1841.
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1545477 Item 2
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
Look ups available for Burials 1850 - …, Burials 1838 - 2005, MIs available http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53015 British History Online Walmersley with Shuttleworth