Walton le Dale, Lancashire Genealogy
WALTON-LE-DALE, a township and chapelry, in the parish, and Lower division of the hundred, of Blackburn, union of Preston, N. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (S. E.) from Preston; the township containing 6659 inhabitants. Waletune, in Saxon times, was held by the crown. The manor was granted by the first Henry de Lacy, probably about 1130, to Robert Banastre, from whose family it passed in marriage to the Langtons, with whom it remained till the reign of Elizabeth, when it was made over to the Hoghton family. Walton is distinguished as the scene of part of the great battle fought August 17th, 1648, between Cromwell and the Duke of Hamilton; and also for a gallant achievement performed in 1715 by General, or Parson, Wood, and his congregation, in defending the passage of the Ribble against the Scottish rebels. In 1701, the Duke of Norfolk, the Earl of Derwentwater, and other leaders of the Jacobites, incorporated themselves by the style of the "Mayor and Corporation of the ancient Borough of Walton," and held their meetings in a small public house here, concealing their real motives under the guise of ludicrous transactions. They kept a register, a mace, a sword of state, and other mock insignia of office; and notwithstanding the diminution in the number of its members by the unsuccessful rebellion of 1715, the society existed till about fifty years since, when it was entirely dissolved. The township adjoins the borough of Preston, to which it may be considered as suburban; and extends southward from the bank of the river Ribble, which is. here joined by the Darwen. It comprises 4239 acres, whereof the greater part is pasture, with a portion of arable, and of wood. The eminence on which the chapel is built, commands a fine view of Ribble dale on one side, and the vale of the Darwen on the other. Both of the valleys are extremely picturesque, the banks of their respective rivers being steep, and richly clothed with wood. The background of the Ribble is formed by the high and extensive ranges of Longridge and Pendle; and that of the Darwen by Billinge Hill, and an abrupt elevation crowned with the ruins of Hoghton Tower, the ancient baronial residence of the Hoghtons. There are four large cotton manufactories, of which the Flats mills of William Calvert, Esq., employ 400 hands, and the Moons mill of Messrs. James Livesey and Son 130 hands. In the township are also a cotton-printing concern, and an iron-foundry belonging to Robert Whittaker, Esq., established in 1800. The Blackburn and Preston railway runs through Walton from east to west; and a tramroad, connecting the north and south levels of the Lancaster canal, traverses it in the same direction. Among the seats are, Cooper Hill, that of Charles Swainson, Esq.; and Walton Lodge, of William Calrow, Esq. Walton Hall, long a seat of the Hoghton family, was pulled down in 1836; the park and gardens still remain. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £156, and a house; patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The tithes of the township have been commuted for £387. 3. 3. The chapel, dedicated to St. Leonard, is principally in the later English style, with a tower: in the chancel are a number of monuments, chiefly to members of the Hoghton family. At Bamber-Bridge (which see) is a second incumbency. A school built in 1672 is endowed with about £16 per annum; and a national school, built in 1835, is supported by subscription.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 453-457. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51374 Date accessed: 03 August 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.