Waseca County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Waseca County Minnesota genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Waseca County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||February 27, 1857|
|Address|| Waseca County Courthouse|
307 North State Street
Waseca, MN 56093
Waseca County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Clerk of the District Court has birth, death, probate, and court records from 1870, marriage records and divorce records from 1858.
- New Richland
- Blooming Grove
- New Richland
- St. Mary
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Le Sueur River Lutheran Church, New Richland Township
- Records of Le Sueur River Lutheran Church, New Richland Township, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Trinity Lutheran Church, New Richland Township
- Records of Trinity Lutheran Church, New Richland Township, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Waseca – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Waseca County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Civil War service men from Waseca County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Waseca County.
- - 4th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company I.
- - 5th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company F.
- - 10th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company F.
World War I
- Waseca County in the War: Index to People Mentioned
This book was published shortly after World War I detailing many soldiers and war contributors at home. It also has many pictures.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Waseca County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Waseca County, Minnesota page 369, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Waseca County Government Webpage. http://gis.co.waseca.mn.us/wasecapublic/default.aspx (accessed November 7, 2011).
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.