Washington County, Alabama Genealogy
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Washington County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||June 4, 1800|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Washington County Courthouse
1 Court Street
Chatom, AL 36518
Phone: (334) 847-2239
Probate Judge has marriage records from 1826
Land records from 1799
Military Discharge records from 1919
Birth & Death Records from 1920
and probate Records from 1825 
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1816 - Inhabitants of Alabama in 1816. Broken Arrow Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1955. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Includes Washington County.
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- Washington County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- Washington County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Washington County p. 40. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).